UMass President’s public service award

University of Massachusetts president Jack M. Wilson announced on Feb. 6, 2008 the faculty winners of this year’s President’s Public Service Award.

The awards are presented annually to faculty members from all five campuses of the University system – Amherst, Boston, Lowell, Dartmouth and Worcester. Chancellors of each respective campus nominate faculty based on their contributions to the community and their outreach of public service in the Commonwealth.

“This is the 10th anniversary of the University’s President’s Public Service Awards and this year’s winners continue in the impressive tradition of the earlier recipients,” said Wilson in a statement.

The six recipients of the award were named at a

reception at the University of Massachusetts Club.

One recipient, associate professor of public health M. Idali Torres of UMass Amherst was acknowledged for her dedication in furthering public health issues in Western Massachusetts.

Professor and founder and director of the Center for Social Development and Education Gary N. Siperstein of UMass Boston was acknowledged for improving the social development of children with learning and behavioral issues.

Associate professor of art history Memory A. Holloway of UMass Dartmouth received the award for her continuing efforts in making public service to the community an essential part of the UMass Dartmouth education, including feeding impoverished areas on the South Coast.

Music professor Kay G. Roberts of UMass Lowell was

acknowledged for connecting different cultures through music and making music education a more important part in the education system.

Assistant professor in the department of computer science Fred Martin of UMass Lowell received praise for using robotics to transform science education and promote more scientific investigation for teachers and students.

Professor of molecular medicine, biochemistry and molecular pharmacology and cell biology Stephen J. Doxsey of the UMass Medical School also received an award for helping found the “UMass Laboratories for Worcester Area High Schools,” which gives high school students the ability to come to the campus and receive hands-on experience in the science labs.

“These six professors are outstanding examples of public service; they have a passion for their professional fields and a commitment to their students and colleagues, but also an exemplary commitment to community engagement and service,” said Wilson. “Their achievements are a credit to all of the dedicated, talented and hard-working faculty members who teach at our campuses and also contribute so much to our communities, locally, state-wide, nationally and globally.”

The President’s Public Service Awards first started in 1998, and so far a total of 59 UMass professors have been acknowledged with awards. The Massachusetts State House is hosting an exhibit in Doric Hall from Feb. 19 through Feb. 29, which will display photographs and more information about this year’s six recipients.

“With these awards, we acknowledge the importance of their public service and the value we place on their contributions to the University of Massachusetts,” said Wilson.

Kristen Healy can be reached at [email protected].