UMass students form new RSO

University of Massachusetts students recently formed a new registered student organization (RSO) to become a Big Brother or Big Sister to local children.

The UMass Big Brother/Big Sister RSO was created to focus on community outreach programs where students can spend time with local children, becoming a mentor and a major influence in the child’s life.

The UMass RSO is following in the example of the worldwide Big Brother/Big Sister organization which operates in every state of the United States and in 12 countries, according to the group’s official Web site.

In the organization volunteers, or “Bigs” as they are called, spend quality time with a “Little” between the ages of six and 18 for a few hours a day, playing sports or board games, eating food, going to a movie or just hanging out together.

“Basically we are trying to connect Bigs and Littles in the area to form a bond and use campus resources for time spent with our littles,” said Molly Stramberg, a UMass student and member of the UMass Big Brother/ Big Sister RSO.

According to the organization’s official Web site, several studies have shown that having a mentoring relationship with an adult can leave a positive, lasting impact in these children’s lives. It argues that many of the children have been known to become more confident in their schoolwork, have better relationships with their families and are less likely to become involved with drugs or alcohol and skip school.

The UMass Big Brother/Big Sister organization is just one of the RSOs at UMass that was formed through the Center of Student Development (CSD) here on campus. According to the CSD official Web site, the University currently has over 280 registered student organizations which are established and run by the students.

The UMass Big Brother/ Big Sister RSO held it’s first ever meeting earlier this week Feb. 12 and looks forward to welcoming new members who wish to be a part of the organization and become actively involved in the local community.

“We are hoping to get ideas about what people would like the RSO to be like and work on getting together a first event to bring together people in the area,” Stramberg said. “Also we are hoping to recruit more members and gain awareness on campus.”

Jennifer Heshion can be reached at [email protected].