Amherst College hosts military panel

Amherst College hosted four alumni speakers who have served in the military during the war in Iraq on Friday as part of a series of ongoing events that brings awareness of issues surrounding the military to the Amherst community.

Although Amherst is known as a left-leaning town politically, the town is trying to do more to close the gap between the military and civilian divide, according to Amherst College President Anthony Marx.

“The college is proud of our alumni that choose to go on and serve,” said Marx.

The four alumni who spoke at the forum included Matt Flavin (class of 2002), Michael Proctor (class of 2002), Todd Nichols (class of 1999) and author Paul Rieckhoff (class of 1998).

All speakers agreed about the importance of serving the country in one way or another, regardless of military involvement.

“Think about service; think about the military or some other kind of service,” said Proctor.

“Service can actually help you, and you serving can help others,” Proctor added. “It’s your duty to help people.”

Besides the military, Proctor suggested the Peace Corps or Teach for America as organizations that allow volunteers to help the country. The forum’s theme was to encourage people to get involved with the country in some way.

“Do something that gets you out into the world,” Nichols said. “Get involved; have an opinion; go out and vote.”

The four of the speakers joined the military at different times and for various reasons.

“Some people insist that many naively joined in a fit of patriotism,” said Flavin.

Flavin cited a military questionnaire in which most who joined did so for something of which they could be proud.

“My decision to join was entirely voluntary,” Flavin said. “I am grateful to have had the chance to serve.”

In Flavin’s unit, there were many who joined because of the benefits after service, including college.

“Many would not have joined if they came from a different socio-economic class,” said Flavin.

Rieckoff joined in 1998 even though he had a job on Wall Street. Both his father and grandfather had been drafted in other wars, but Reickoff wanted to join the military for the challenge.

“I did not want to go to war, but I wanted that excitement – that leadership,” said Reickoff. “I never regretted my decision to join.”

Nichols also joined before the war in Iraq, though he has served in the Middle East three times.

“If you want a leadership challenge, there is no greater thing to do than join the military,” Nichols said. “It is an amazing, rewarding experience and one that you cannot really get in any other employment.”

Proctor’s key factor in his decision was the threat of terrorism.

“My decision to join came right after September 11,” said Proctor. “After serving in the military, no other job will be the same, but they are trying to move on.”

Flavin is now attending law school at Georgetown University.

“I want to be involved, but I want to be involved in another way,” said Nichols.

Nichols is on his way to graduate school.

Rieckoff is the founder and director of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, as well as an author. His book “Chasing Ghosts” recalls his experiences during and after his time in Iraq.

Rieckoff has also become a political activist. He is hoping to bridge the divide between those in the military and those who are not.

“We are not a country at war; we are a military at war,” said Rieckoff. “If you see the war on TV, you can flip the channel and watch something else.”

“There is a disconnect between those who serve and those who do not really know about the war going on,” said Nichols.

According to Marx, last week was the first time a military recruiter was allowed on campus for more than a generation. In April, Amherst will host General Wesley Clark to continue its effort of educating the public. The college is also in the process of creating a scholarship for military veterans.

The panel was held in honor of Navy Lieutenant Joshua Gross from the class of 1998. Gross recently died in a helicopter crash in Corpus Christi, Texas.

“We’ve been given a lot, and we can really give back in a strong way,” said Proctor.

Emily Reynolds can be reached at [email protected].