Five lacrosse players no longer enrolled at UMass

Collegian staff

The University of Massachusetts no longer lists the five men’s lacrosse players suspended on Feb. 2 for an undisclosed violation of team rules as enrolled students.

Juniors Jim Connolly and Justin Kelleher, redshirt sophomore Jordan Hendry and freshmen Jay Lucas and Alex Whitney are no longer associated with the team, University officials confirmed yesterday.

“The five individuals are no longer enrolled at UMass,” said University spokesman Patrick Callahan.

Due to privacy laws regarding students, Callahan could not specify if the students were dismissed from the school or if they willingly left.

Three other former players, Christian Haggerty, Ryan Marcus and Christopher Casey, were arrested for alleged participation in an assault of three individuals at 304 North Pleasant St. on Feb. 1. All eight were suspended by UMass coach Greg Cannella the day after the incident.

However, none of the five have been arrested in connection with the assault.

“No other arrests have been made in connection with the incident besides the original three,” said Amherst Police Detective Brian Johnson. “The investigation is still ongoing.”

Johnson said that the Amherst PD does not help the UMass dean of students office compile a case against students in alleged violation of the Code of Student Conduct. Neither the public nor any organizations are privy to the information collected through a police investigation before the alleged criminal’s arraignment and subsequent trial.

The dean of students office has the ability to suspend and dismiss students that it determines to be in violation of the Code of Student Conduct.

Cannella declined to comment on the situation involving his former players.

“Coach Cannella has no comment at this time,” said Associate Athletic Director for Media Relations Jason Yellin. “They are no longer associated with the team or the University.”

From the team perspective, the depleted roster hurts the team’s depth as well as its offensive ability. Connolly was the team’s leading scorer last season with 29 goals. The Minutemen struggled on offense during their past two games, scoring an aggregate nine between a pair of losses.

Michael King can be reached at [email protected].