Free from the city’s cluster

Straying from the common culture they view as destructive in its nature, North Carolina’s Bowerbirds deliver inspiration for listeners with similarly progressive mentalities. As front man Phil Moore lyrically professed during their performance at The Iron Horse Music Hall Saturday, their music is “making matchsticks to start other people’s fires.”

Bowerbirds possess a stage presence and sound that is simultaneously haunting and soothing. With sweeping accordion and violin accompanying often minimalist acoustic guitar, the band’s sound, when experienced live, is as inviting as a warm fire on a brisk winter’s night.

The band opened the night with “Hooves,” which also serves as the opening track on their latest album “Hymns for a Dark Horse.” The chemistry amongst the trio was unmistakable even from the song’s very commencement, effortlessly creating waves of sound that were just as lavish as their recorded counterparts, yet with a decidedly more intimate dimension to them.

While simultaneously finger picking and playing the high hat and tambourine with his feet for additional emphasis, Moore’s voice resonated through the crowd in a demanding, yet comforting manner, bringing the audience at the hall to a whispered lull.

“You’re the kindling still that burns below my heart, and you’re the hooves that lead me through the forest,” professed Moore during the song, while Beth Tacular and Mark Paulson supplied a gorgeous backdrop of accordion and understated percussion to the mellow number.

The band’s next two songs illustrated the group’s ability to seamlessly harmonize with one another. “Slow Down” and “In Our Talons” both showcase the combined vocal talents of Paulson and Tacular, who, during the respective songs, compliment Moore by adding additional layers of vocals that contribute to the songs compelling choruses.

The band gave those in attendance a glimpse of their newest music by performing two previously unreleased songs. Both songs draw lyrical inspiration from Moore and Tacular’s current project of building their own home together.

The first selection was somewhat a love song, which featured both Phil and Beth singing solo parts before joining in unison for the heartfelt conclusion. The song revolves around the emotional connection the two have developed with each other and their surroundings during the past months.

The second debutant track was a surprisingly upbeat number, delving into their personal separation from the exploitation that accompanies life in modern society. The song begins with the highly visual lyrics, “One morning you wake to find you are shackled to your bed and bound and gagged; oh my, what a predicament,” and reaches new heights with the group declaring in unison, “you are free, you are already free” at the song’s conclusion.

Sandwiched between the new material was an established favorite in “My Oldest Memory,” a song that showcases Paulson’s violin talents, and further reinforcing the strength of the groups unified vocal harmonies when shouting out during choruses, “Is this an island that plots like a villain, or an old ghost friend we don’t believe in?”

“Olive Hearts” was an undoubted highlight. The number shifts from upbeat accordion and harmonized choruses into a slower finale where Moore gives cheers to a wide variety of characters.

Following in the peaceful wake of “Olive Hearts” was “Bur Oak,” a similarly melodic piece in which Moore would rattle the narrative with an occasional hi-hat strike, injecting moments of urgency into the otherwise low-key selection.

Closing out the night was “Dark Horse,” a song that comes alive with its reassuring lyrics. Moore, Paulson and Tacular combine harmoniously during the chorus to proclaim, “We stow our words in the cellar so we never lose hope, and keep this wood fire stoked while the bitter winds blow.” A rousing reception from the large and attentive audience followed, and the band graciously talked with admirers.

Bowerbirds are a band that is unified in their resolve, and anchored by their beliefs. Following their heartfelt ambitions by taking their message on the road, the band is a joy to experience in person, due to their obvious affection towards one another, and their artfully crafted views on the positive advancement of American culture. As Moore proclaims on “In Our Talons,” “It takes a lot of nerve to destroy this wondrous earth.” This is a nerve that the band successfully strikes with anyone open to listening.

Brian Wood can be reached at [email protected]