Tennis travels to Charleston for pair of matches

It’s going to be a spring break full of firsts for the Massachusetts tennis team.

The Minutewomen will travel to Charleston, S.C., next week to play in back-to-back meets. They face off against Charleston Southern College Tuesday, followed by the College of Charleston on Wednesday.

This will be the first time the Minutewomen have traveled to South Carolina, as well as the first time they have played either team.

UMass coach Judy Dixon is excited about the challenge.

“When we go to a place we’ve never been before and play a team we’ve never played before, everybody walks on the court with no expectations, and since there’s no history, that makes it more exciting,” said Dixon.

Charleston Southern is not known as a traditionally strong tennis school, but the College of Charleston is expected to be a stern test for the Minutewomen, especially because it will be UMass’ second game in two days.

“The fact of the matter is, we will have to get used to playing on short notice, because that’s what we have to do in the Atlantic 10 Championships, Dixon said. “We will sometimes be playing two matches in one day.”

After being indoors all season, the Minutewomen will have to make a fast transition to playing outdoors. There are many subtle differences between indoor and outdoor courts, and having to deal with the weather adds another hurdle for the Maroon and White to overcome. To prepare for the sudden change, Dixon is having the team practice outdoors twice a day for three straight days before game time.

“It’s always difficult to play outdoors,” Dixon said. “I like our chances in the first match as long as we can remember what it’s like to play outdoor tennis.”

The rotation has not been fully decided. While senior Masha Pozar and freshman Candynce Boney are almost certain to play in the first and second positions, respectively, positions three through six are still being juggled around. Kaitlyn Carpenter is coming off a sprained ankle, making her playing status uncertain.

Dixon is looking for a big day from is Tanisha Hodgson. For most of the season Hodgson has been played in the third position, but has struggled as of late. Dixon mentioned that she will likely have her play at the fifth slot and wants to see how well she performs there.

“I feel like we need her to step up at number five, so that’s were I’ve got my eye,” said Dixon.

Boney has been the most consistent performer on the team so far and, as usual, will be counted on to score some points for the Minutewomen. She has displayed a dominating serve and a great forehand shot that keeps her opponents off balance. She was the only UMass player to win a match against Ivy League powerhouse Brown, and will look to continue her successful first season down in South Carolina.

Scott Feldman can be reached at [email protected].