UMass Dartmouth professor receives prestigious award

University of Massachusetts Dartmouth associate professor of art and history Memory Holloway recently received the President’s Public Service Award.

In the 10th year of the annual award, Holloway will be recognized with professors Maria Idali Torres of UMass Amherst, Gary Siperstein of UMass Boston, Kay George Roberts and Fred Martin of UMass Lowell and Stephen Doxsey of UMass Medical School, for their services to the University.

The aim of the President’s Public Service Award is to “recognize professors that go above and beyond their duty to help their schools,” said William Wright, director of public information for the UMass president’s office.

The award was started as a way to acknowledge teachers who embody the public service aspect of the school’s mission.

Each year the chancellors from each campus nominate several candidates whom they believe demonstrate outstanding community service.

UMass president Jack M. Wilson makes the final decision.

An exhibit featuring their exploits will be displayed at Massachusetts State House and it will travel through each campus. Each recipient will also have his or her portrait featured at the UMass club in downtown Boston.

Holloway, who has been with UMass Dartmouth for the past 11 years, earned the award through her work at the Salvation Army, where she, as along with students, faculty, inmates from the Bristol County House of Correction and members of the community, cooks for impoverished individuals.

During Christmas and Thanksgiving, the organization’s volunteers cook meals for 400 people. Holloway admits this experience has taught her a lot about people.

“You learn about people in a different way,” she said. “You see what it’s like to be hungry, and it becomes very personal. When you eat and cook with them, you understand them in a very different way.”

Mercy Bell, a fifth-year senior at UMass Dartmouth who volunteered with Holloway at the Salvation Army, said that it was a great learning experience – one that she would like to do again.

Bell, like Holloway, is also a firm believer in helping the community.

“Volunteering is really connecting to the great circle of life, partaking in reciprocity, by saying, ‘Here, universe, use me for something,'” she said. “We get from others as much as we give. When we take ourselves out of that loop, we are hindering growth.”

Holloway was also recognized for her collaboration with the Massachusetts Foundation for Humanities scholarship program, where she teaches adults who desire an education but lack the financial means.

“The important thing is that this [program] gives people a chance who never really had a chance in high school,” Holloway said. “It gives people a chance to learn in a really good and encouraging environment.”

Community service has always been a part of Holloway’s life, as both her mother and grandmother were a part of it. This is her fifth year participating, and her passion and devotion has encouraged many around her to become a part of her world as well.

“I think she could lead a revolution laughing if she wanted to,” said Bell. “You don’t feel like she’s leading, actually, more like she’s having a lot of fun and letting you in on a piece of the action and you’ll follow because it’s more fun. That’s rare.”

Jessica Sacco can be reached at [email protected].