WMUA, IHEG team for concert series

myspace.com/caribou

In an effort to bring exciting new sounds to the Pioneer Valley, WMUA and the Iron Horse Entertainment Group have collaborated to bring music fans the Left of the Dial Concert Series.

The series is aimed at providing exposure for musicians and groups who are on independent labels. These acts, despite their unquestionable talent, generally don’t receive the radio airtime or publicity that they deserve. WMUA and IHEG are doing their part to change this with a string of exciting events highlighting some of the best in independent music.

The series offers listeners a unique opportunity to indulge in new music on a variety of fronts. In addition to bands playing stops at the Pearl Street Night Club or the Iron Horse Music Hall in Northampton, WMUA will be supplementing this by featuring numerous on-air giveaways and promotions leading up to the performances as well as interviews with the bands that are featured members of the concert series.

This is the first formal collaboration between WMUA and IHEG, and is a partnership that both parties hope to extend past the spring and continue into the upcoming fall semester.

WMUA DJ Gabe Chicone is one of the primary organizers of the concert series, and in association with it will be providing substantial air play for scheduled bands while also providing listeners with live interviews with a number of the acts on-air.

“WMUA is dedicated to helping these bands thrive and continue to make great music,” says Chicone. “We view this concert series as an extension of this goal.”

So far, according to Chicone, the series has been a rousing success, stating that past performers Born Ruffians and Cadence Weapon were both surprised at the remarkable turnouts for their respective shows. The series has been on-going since the start of this spring semester.

The next scheduled event in the series features The Mountain Goats tonight at the Pearl Street Nigh Club. Tickets for the event are $18 at the door and the show begins at 8:30 p.m. with openers Drew Hickum and The Moaners.

The series continues on March 24 with Why? and Cryptacize (ex-Deerhoof) at the Iron Horse Music Hall, and the following day March 25 featuring Caribou. On April 5 the series shifts back to Pearl Street with Minus The Bear and Portugal the Man.

Other future performances include Canadian indie-rockers The Weakerthans, New York native Kevin Devine, and American Music Club. All shows are currently on sale at the Northampton box office and online at the IHEG Web site.

“The members of WMUA are all very excited about each of the shows,” says Chicone, and judging from the current attendance at shows featured in the series, fans from the Pioneer Valley seem to share their collective enthusiasm.

For a complete listing of upcoming events or to purchase tickets Online, visit iheg.com. To tune in for updates on upcoming giveaways and interviews, WMUA can be listened to daily on radio frequency 91.1FM or by free online streaming at wmua.org.

Brian Wood can be reached at [email protected]