Elite teams continue dominating

(MCT)

Connecticut (25-1, 12-0 Big East) showed no love when facing Oklahoma (18-7, 8-3 Big 12) with an 86-45 win on Feb. 14 – marking the Sooners’ biggest loss since 1978.

The Huskies had much to celebrate that evening. Senior Maya Moore became the Big East’s all-time scoring leader, passing Louisville’s Angel McCoughtry’s record of 2,779 points. Moore is now 16th on the career NCAA Division I scoring list. UConn, ranked second in the nation, also won its 76th-straight game at home and extended its overall winning streak to 14.

In the first half, UConn made 20-of-32 shots, while the Sooners only shot 25 percent from the field and missed 12-of-13 3-point attempts.

Oklahoma didn’t fare better in the second half, shooting 30 percent from the floor and getting beaten on the glass, 49-to-28. UConn shot 56 percent in the half with equal contribution within the team. Tiffany Hayes added 13 points and had seven rounds, Stefanie Dolson collected 15 points and nine rebounds, and Bria Hartley scored 11. Danielle Robison was Oklahoma’s top performer with 14 points, two rebounds, two assists and three steals.

Both teams return to the court Feb. 19, with Oklahoma facing Texas and Connecticut battling No. 8 Notre Dame.

Baylor defeats Texas A&M

No. 1 Baylor (24-1, 11-0 Big 12) continues to occupy the top spot after defeating Texas A&M (21-3, 9-2 Big 12) on Feb. 14. Both teams were tied at 50 with five minutes remaining, but the Bears held on for a 67-58 win.

The Aggies’ Tyra White had her best game of the season with a career-high 29 points. She brought A&M to their largest lead of the game after four free throws, a layup, and a 3-pointer. White was the only Aggie to score at least 10 points. Danielle Adams, who set an A&M record of 40 points Feb. 12 against Kansas, managed just nine in the contest.

Baylor’s Brittney Griner helped secure the win for the Bears by stepping up her game in the second half. After only scoring three points in the first, Griner accumulated 23 points and seven rebounds in the second. With five minutes remaining the in the game, Griner, Destiny Williams and Odyssey Sims brought the team to a 17-point lead. This is the second time the Bears have defeated the Aggies this season and their ninth-consecutive win over a top 25 team.

Baylor will return to action on Feb. 19, when it travels to Texas Tech for a 1:30 contest.

Miami Upsets North Carolina

The No. 21 Miami Hurricanes (22-3, 8-2 Atlantic Coast Conference) had an unexpected win against the No. 10 North Carolina Tar Heels (22-4, 8-3 ACC) on Feb 13.

After taking a 41-34 deficit into halftime, UNC tied the game at 44 with 15 minutes remaining in regulation. Laura Broomfield, who finished with 18 points and 15 rebounds, helped bring the Tar Heels back with a jumper, a forced turnover and one key rebound.

Miami answered immediately with a 3-point shot from Shenise Johnson and then another from Williams. Within three minutes, the Hurricanes had a 10-point lead and did not let up for the rest of the game.

Hot from their win, Miami takes on Boston College Feb. 17 in Boston while UNC travels to play in-state rival North Carolina State on Feb. 21.

St John’s Defeats Georgetown

St. John’s (17-7, 6-5 Big East) got their first win over a ranked team this season after defeating Georgetown (20-6, 8-4 Big East), 75-71, in overtime.

The Hoyas trailed most of the game, but managed a comeback with six minutes remaining in the second half. Ta’Sauna Rodgers, Georgetown’s leading scorer of the game, tied St. John’s with a basket. GU’s Latia Magee’s free throw with under two minutes left gave Georgetown its first lead, 60-59. Rubylee Wright extended the Hoyas lead following a Magee steal from the Red Storm’s Amanda Burakoski. Burakoski then got her revenge by tying the game with a 3-pointer, sending the game to overtime.

The two teams remained neck-and-neck in overtime until St. Johns’ Da’Shena Stevens made a free throw and Shenneika Smith made a two-point layup. The Red Storm took a five-point lead when Nadirah McKenith completed two free throws. St. John’s put the game out of reach during its next possession, when McKenith buried one of two at the charity stripe.

The next ranked opponent St. John’s faces will be against West Virginia on Feb. 28 at 7 pm.

Trevor Bray can be reached at [email protected].