Offense strengthens Minutemen season as Brown approaches

Maxwell Sparr/Collegian

The No. 9 Massachusetts men’s lacrosse team is off to a fast start thanks in large part to its aggressiveness and execution on the offensive end.

The Minutemen (3-0) have scored an average of 11 goals per game against stout defensive opponents in Army, Hartford and Ohio State by showcasing balance in the offensive zone, displaying quick and precise ball movement, creating extra possessions and outshooting the opposition.

With a number of scoring threats on the roster, UMass coach Greg Cannella believes his team’s balance and unselfishness has paid dividends thus far. “I think it takes pressure off individuals and allows [the players] to let the game come to them a little bit more,” said Cannella.

Eleven players have scored for the Minutemen this season, with Will Manny (six goals), Art Kell (five goals), Anthony Biscardi (five goals), Colin Fleming (five goals) and Ryan Hantverk (four goals) leading the way in terms of finding the back of the net.

Cannella said having multiple scoring options gives his team an advantage over other teams that may rely on a single scoring threat.

“Some games, [if] it’s not going your way, you don’t have to force it,” said Cannella. “You can defer [to your teammates].”

UMass has featured ball movement that includes working the ball around the perimeter of the defense and feeding to teammates streaking towards the net. Cannella said his team’s chemistry has resulted in great execution of their offensive system.

“We’re more of a motion team, but I think it reflects the guys we have now and their understanding of each other,” said Cannella. “They’re getting used to each other. I think they feel a little more comfortable within our sets to be able to … feel that they can go out and make plays.”

The return of junior Art Kell has been a major lift for UMass, with a team-high 12 points, including seven assists. Kell broke his foot last year and had to miss the final six games of the season and now plays a key role in setting up the offensive sets and dictating when to attack the net.

Another strength that’s emerged for the Minutemen has been handling groundballs. UMass has scooped up a total of 95 in their first three games compared to its opponents’ 76.

“Groundballs are a key to any game,” Cannella said. “[If] you win the groundball war … you’re [going to] be in the game.”

Junior Greg Rushing has provided a high contribution in ground balls (team-high 24) which has created extra scoring opportunities for the Maroon and White.

“Every time you come up with them, it’s an extra possession for your team,” said Cannella. “The more possessions that any team has, the better off they’re [going to] be … moving forward.”

UMass dominated the groundball battle last weekend against OSU, 31-24, limiting the Buckeyes’ chances of mounting a comeback. Rushing accumulated 11 of his own and played particularly well late in the game to clinch the victory.

With those extra possessions, the Minutemen have created more scoring chances and have been able to dictate the pace of the game. UM has averaged an impressive 41.3 shots per contest, outshooting the opposition, 124-76.

“We [want to] try to take a lot of shots,” said Cannella. “[I’d] like our shooting percentage to increase, obviously, but [with] the way we play, we’re [going to] generate shots and we’re [going to] try to take a lot of shots … from a lot of different people.”

UMass has generated 65 shots on goal (52.4 percent) so far this season.

UMass’ offensive surge has come despite facing quality goalkeepers in its first three contests. Army’s Tom Palesky was a preseason All-American honorable mention, Hartford’s Scott Bement was named to the America East All-Conference Second Team last season and Ohio State’s freshman Greg Dutton was a high-school All-American last year.

Stephen Sellner can be reached at [email protected].