Boston area rife with music this summer

Hannah Cohen/Collegian
Hannah Cohen/Collegian

For music fans of any sort in the New England area during the summer of 2011, the Boston area is undoubtedly the place to be. Tons of bands, solo artists, comedians and even television show casts will be showcased in the best venues Massachusetts has to offer.

One of the first shows that will kick off the summer of concerts is sure to be enjoyed thoroughly by a specific group of music/television fans. The cast of “Glee” will hit the stage at Boston’s TD Garden the night of June 6, in the middle of their nationwide tour. While ticket prices are somewhat expensive ($49.99 or $89.99), judging by the show’s massive following, the Garden will probably be close to capacity.

If you can’t make it to the “Glee” concert, but still hope to get your fill of live pop music this summer, fret not. An older crowd might enjoy hearing the 90s hits of New Kids on the Block and Back Street Boys as they put on a joint concert at the Garden on June 4, and another one at Fenway Park on June 11. Newer pop icons hitting the area include Katy Perry (at the Garden June 18), Ke$ha (hitting the Bank of America Pavilion on Aug. 16) and Selena Gomez (wooing the crowd at the Pavilion on Aug. 25).

Music fans on the other end of the spectrum might not find a good time at a pop concert, and may be seeking out hip hop acts instead. Luckily, Jam’n 94.5’s annual Summer Jam concert is put on at the beginning of the summer months, on June 4 at Mansfield’s Comcast Center. The lineup includes Chris Brown, Fabolous and Waka Flocka. Or they could hit Kiss 108’s show on May 21 in the same venue, which will feature Flo Rida, Mike Posner and Taio Cruz, among others. Rihanna will also make it to the TD Garden on July 29, along with Cee Lo Green and J. Cole.

Fans of the music of yesteryear won’t be disappointed either. It’ll be commonplace to see parents at Boston’s House of Blues this summer, watching Paul Simon (on June 2), Pat Benatar (July 9) and The Cars (May 26). Older and younger folks alike might want to consider seeing the B-52s and Go-Go’s at the Pavilion on June 9 or Jimmy Buffett at the Comcast Center on June 18.

Country fans who aren’t that excited about Buffett will find solace in the younger country set, which will definitely make its way up north. Perhaps the most talked-about show will be Taylor Swift’s, at Gillette Stadium on June 25 and 26, during her “Speak Now” tour. The home of the New England Patriots will also be visited by country great Kenny Chesney for two nights – Aug. 27 and 28.

On July 16, country fans can see some of the brightest country stars on the same stage. The Country Music Association’s reigning “Entertainer of the Year” Brad Paisley will be taking the stage with the CMA’s “Male Vocalist of the Year” Blake Shelton, as well as Jerrod Niemann.

Rock shows are not lagging this summer either. The much-anticipated Van’s Warped Tour will be making its way back to the Comcast Center on July 13, and will consist of acts like Of Mice and Men and We Came as Romans. Fairly new group The Script is hitting the House of Blues stage on June 8.

Classic rock will definitely be making a comeback at the Comcast Center. Journey will be belting out hit singles like “Faithfully” and “Don’t Stop Believing” on Aug. 12. Def Leppard and Motley Crue, accompanied by Poison, will be in Mansfield on June 30 and July 19, respectively.

If moshing and 80s hair bands aren’t your thing, softer rock/indie bands are coming up north in the summer months of 2011 as well. Death Cab for Cutie will be at the smaller Paradise Rock Club on June 5, while Dispatch will play three much bigger shows at TD Garden on June 24, 25 and 26. Florence Welch, with her band Florence and the Machine, will be belting out “The Dog Days are Over” at the Pavilion on June 23.

The biggest jam band concert in the Bay State in the summer of 2011 will undoubtedly be Phish. Their massive cult following can see Trey Anastasio and company at the Comcast Center on June 7.

Those who would rather laugh than dance will find a plethora of comedians in the Boston area. Bravo’s resident comedienne Kathy Griffin will be offending many with her hilarity at the Wilbur Theatre on May 13 and 14, while late night host Craig Ferguson will be on the same stage on July 31.

There is literally something for everyone in on the best stages of the Boston area during the summer of 2011. The best of artists have released albums within the last year, so the majority of chart toppers will be touring the nation soon.

Kate MacDonald can be reached at [email protected].