You’re still never gonna stop him

MySpace
MySpace

For those unfamiliar, Wavves was once a one-man project consisting of guitarist/singer Nathan Williams and his laptop churning out music that tested just how low lo-fi could go. Williams then got a band and a producer, and shortly after came “King of the Beach,” a stupidly brilliant LP that blended Brian Wilson and Blink into fast, hook heavy punk. During the past year, Wavves toured and released a few singles while fans put “King” on loop and wondered if the next big release would match up – this is the band that sampled the Chiffons, after all.

Good news: “Life Sux” does not, as its name might imply, suck – not even close. Wavves isn’t going to the beach this time, but the EP’s five songs and one bonus track stay true to what fans love about this band – fast and fuzzy riffs, snappy drum work, Beach Boys-esque ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs,’ and, of course, relatable and catchy lyrics. Don’t let the title fool you – “Life Sux” is not an emo downer trip (20 bucks says Williams prefers the Blue Album to Pinkerton) but rather a means of escaping bummer circumstances. Williams deals with burnt-out couch zombies, girls who never call, and a nagging world by turning them into carelessly fun tunes. Like the best music, these songs help find that bit of redemption that makes life worth living, even if it does suck.

Take album opener “Bug” for example. The song kicks off “Life Sux” with a tale about an annoying, mooching friend, like “I Don’t Wanna Walk Around With You” updated for 21st century stoners. He or she is always on your couch, smoking your pot and drinking your beer, complaining just to complain. Williams must have more than a few bugs in his living room, and while he can’t get rid of them at least he can use everything in his pop-punk power to feel better about it. “You’re no fun,” sings Williams about his mystery moochers, but the song is fun, and that’s all that really matters.

With “Destroy,” Williams enlists fellow punk band F***ed Up to help Wavves go hardcore. A stark contrast to previous tunes like the melodic “When Will You Come,” “Destroy” is Wavves at their most abrasive. They rage about wasting away on the couch, and the gross decadence of self-destruction is summed up perfectly in their primordial wails. Williams knows he’s got to get out, but there’s nowhere to go – a chilling thought for us seniors soon to hit the real world. What is Wavves’ solution? Scream “Destory” over and over again and laugh at your own situation –works for me.

Onto “I Wanna Meet Dave Grohl,” the EP’s centerpiece. This I-can’t-help-but-clap-along rocker represents a step forward in Williams’ songwriting ability, as it’s the first time he questions his trademark immaturity: “I’m not a kid?/That’s my mistake/Get out of bed/Nah f*** this day.” He doesn’t just want to meet Dave Grohl, he wants to be Dave Grohl, a piece of the escapism-from-the-mundane theme central to “Life Sux.” The throwback to “King of the Beach” in the outro is a nice touch.

The last two tracks hint at Wavves’ increasing flexibility. Williams called up his girlfriend to help out on “Nodding Off,” a fuzzy pop number with some signature Best Coast “wee-oohs.” The infectiousness of this song makes one wonder how sweet a Williams/Cosentino LP might sound – fingers crossed, but no plans yet. The closer “Poor Lenore” not only proves Williams has picked up a book at some point in his life, but also that he learned something from Cobain and Cuomo in the intimacies of loud/soft macabre rock.

Fair warning: those looking for the electronic dance ecstasy of “Mickey Mouse” and “Baseball Cards” won’t find it on this EP. These songs are all about life in a burned-out abyss, and they sound that way. This doesn’t mean these songs aren’t without laughter or hope or fun; Wavves without fun is not Wavves.

“The world won’t leave me alone,” groans Williams in the murk of “Poor Lenore,” but c’mon man, you’re not exactly avoiding anyone. With plans to conquer MTV and a full length album promised by Christmas, “Life Sux” might be our last to chance to hear Wavves deal with their problems, because it looks like things are only getting better.

Patrick Tenero can be reached at [email protected].