From Amherst to Bahrain: UMass alum Thomas Krajeski serving as U.S. ambassador

Bahrain from above (Ahmed Rabea/Flickr)

Thomas Krajeski is an ambassador for the Kingdom of Bahrain, appointed by President Barack Obama in June 2011. He has climbed 20,000 feet of Mount Everest and to the top of the Great Pyramids of Egypt. He has met Nelson Mandela and helped build a school in Nepal.

Krajeski is also a University of Massachusetts alumnus, class of 1975.

Over the past 32 years, he has worked in foreign affairs as a representative of the United States across the globe. In his role as ambassador, he directly represents the president and the U.S. and has full authority to negotiate on behalf of the country.

“Simply put, it’s service to my country and its values, interests, and ideals,” said Krajeski in an email interview. “I believe that Americans need to connect with the world to the greatest extent possible.”

As ambassador, Krajeski said he is in charge of more than 100 American employees from the Department of State, Department of Defense and other agencies. His duties involve assisting U.S. business in Bahrain, issuing visas and passports, managing the finances of the embassy and protecting American security.

“In a typical day, I will review security with the regional security officer,” he said. “[I will] visit Navy HQ to discuss Iran with the Admiral, discuss US policy in Syria with the Foreign Minister, attend a graduation of English-language students from an institute supported by USG funds and have dinner with the head of the Bahraini army.”

“I love to travel so this job is a natural joy for me,” he added. “In my career I have floated on a felucca down the Nile, walked through Petra, seen the Buddha’s tooth in Kandy and eaten lamb’s brains with the Baba Sheikh of the [Yezidis.]”

Since the uprisings in Bahrain fermented by Arab Spring last, Krajeski believes Bahrain has made progress towards reform. He noted drafting legislation against torture, police codes of conduct and the reconstruction of religious structures as some of the improvements made in the country’s reform efforts.

Feb. 14 marked the one-year anniversary of the first demonstration in Bahrain, said Krajeski.

“The days and weeks surrounding the anniversary are a moment for all Bahrainis in all segments of society to come together to move beyond the pain of last year and begin to forge a more peaceful, prosperous future through genuine dialogue,” he said.

Krajeski, a Russian studies major at UMass, became interested in foreign language after his high school teacher introduced him to German and Russian literature and language.

“I loved foreign languages and seemed to have had a natural affinity for learning them,” he said.

Krajeski entered UMass on a full scholarship in 1968, coming from a class of 150 at Pentucket Regional High School. But he felt overwhelmed at UMass and dropped out after three semesters.

Krajeski was then no longer exempted from draft into the Vietnam War by student status. Attempting to avoid the draft, he applied and received “conscientious objector” status.  This allowed him to offer alternative service to fighting in the war. After being drafted in 1970 he spent two years working for hospitals in Boston as his alternative service.

Those two years prepared Krajeski for reentry into academia and solidified his interest in foreign affairs.

“During my two years of alternative service, I thought about other careers, including medicine, but I settled very nicely back into Herter Hall when I returned to the campus in 1972,” he said.

After three years of school, he graduated in 1975.

Krajeski then attended graduate school for a few years at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He was inspired by the same high school teacher who taught him Russian and German to take a Foreign Service exam in 1977 and was offered a position two years later.

Krajeski’s favorite class at UMass was a class that explored famous Russian literature.

“I was completely fascinated with the power of fiction to shape our perception and understanding of the political and social ferment in Russia during that time,” said Krajeski.

Krajeski recommends students interested in a career in international affairs learn languages, study foreign culture and work for organizations such as the Peace Corps or Amnesty International.

He also provided some simpler advice: “Study hard, have fun, ask questions and call your Mom.”

Mason Woolley can be reached at [email protected]. Nancy Pierce can be reached at [email protected].