Seawolves continue domination of Delaware

By Matt Levine

The Stony Brook men’s lacrosse team continued its domination over No. 18 Delaware on Saturday with a 7-6 win over the Blue Hens.

Saturday’s victory marked the sixth consecutive win for the Seawolves (1-3) over Delaware (3-4) and the second time in the previous four meetings that they won by just one goal.

The game was tied at five at halftime, but the Hens hit an offensive wall in the second half, as they could not find the back of the net over the entire third quarter.

Stony Brook jumped out to an early 3-1 lead to start the first quarter, but the Blue Hens rallied late. They scored one goal with 15 seconds left and another with only two seconds left to tie the game up at three at the end of one.

Delaware continued the attack, as the Blue Hens scored two goals with 12 minutes and 30 seconds left in the second quarter. Stony Brook responded behind the play of senior attacker Kyle Belton, who scored one goal at the 4:54 mark and another at the 3:03 mark to tie the game up at five at halftime.

The Seawolves took the lead with the only goal in the third quarter for both teams at the 14:04 mark. Junior attacker Jeff Tundo found freshman attacker Mike Andreassi for a goal to put Stony Brook up 6-5.

SBU added an insurance goal within the first minute of the final quarter. The Blue Hens fought back with a goal at the 13:40 mark to cut the deficit to one, but they could not find the back of the net again for the rest of the game.

Delaware starts Colonial Athletic Association play next Saturday when they play Hofstra University at 1 p.m.

Fighting Irish outlast Pride

On Saturday, No. 7 Norte Dame outlasted No. 19 Hofstra in a heated 6-5 overtime battle that featured a hat trick from both sides.

ND senior Sean Rogers netted his third goal of the game with two minutes and 41 seconds left in the first overtime to give his team its third win of the season.

In the first quarter, both teams failed to gain control of the match, as the score was knotted at one. The Irish came out firing in the second quarter, as they collected two goals to give them a 3-1 lead going into halftime.

In the second half, the Pride answered right back with three unanswered goals to give themselves a 4-3 lead late in the fourth quarter.

Notre Dame then tied the game with one minute and four seconds left, and then took the lead with just 12 seconds with its second goal in just one minute.

However 12 seconds was plenty of time for Hofstra sophomore attacker, Torin Varn, who knotted the game up at 5-5, and forced overtime.

In overtime, the Irish came out of a timeout and designed a play for Rogers, who netted the game-winning goal for ND.

The Pride begins CAA play on Saturday at home against Delaware.

Denver blows out PSU

After winning three straight games, No. 10 Penn State suffered an embarrassing loss to No. 11 Denver, as they were blown out 14-6, on Saturday.

The Pioneers (4-1, 0-1 Eastern College Athletic Conference) took control from the start as they put up three straight goals to start  the first quarter.

However, the Nittany Lions (3-2) fought back with goals from senior attacker Jack Forster and junior midfielder Nick Dolik to make the score 3-2 at the end of the first quarter.

The second quarter is where the game got out of hand. Denver tallied seven unanswered goals to make the score 10-2.

Their offensive attack slowed in the third quarter as they managed just two goals, but the defense held PSU to one goal.

The only positive of the night for the Nittany Lions is that they outscored the Pioneers in the final quarter of the game 3-2.

Penn State will be back in action on Saturday when it hosts No. 5 Massachusetts at 12 p.m.

Matt Levine can be reached at [email protected]