‘Boxes for Boston’ relief effort set for this Sunday

Taylor C. Snow/Collegian

University of Massachusetts senior Danielle Roosa thinks a “box of joy” is just what those affected by the April 15 Boston Marathon explosions could use.

Roosa has planned “Boxes for Boston,” an event designed to benefit the victims and first responders in Boston, including EMTs, police officers and firefighters.

“This is not a relief package, but a box of joy,” Roosa said. “These are the heroes behind the scenes and they too need happiness and support after everything they have done and seen. They should not be forgotten and deserve a box.”

The collection will be held in the Campus Center Auditorium from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m[MNU1] . this Sunday. Volunteers may come and go as they please, according to Roosa. The final destination of these boxes is unknown, but the purpose is to make the recipients smile, Roosa said. The only guarantee Roosa can make to volunteers is that the boxes will be delivered to someone in need.

Roosa “immediately sprang into action” after hearing from a good friend who was working at the finish line of the marathon. Another close friend came up with the idea of care packages.

Roosa said the Boltwood Project, a community service program, “really stepped up to help” with the actual event. Local businesses in the Amherst area have donated shoe boxes and small treats, while volunteers will bring additional items, such as personalized letters, to supplement each shoe box to lift the spirits of the recipients.

“It may just be a box with a note and candy, but it symbolizes support from our campus,” Roosa said.

Roosa is asking volunteers to bring their own shoe boxes to decorate so as to not run out.

“I know people want to get involved, but I can only reach so many people,” Roosa said. “I’m asking volunteers to place themselves in the recipients’ situation and go out and buy or make small things that would make them happy. I want this to be a bright, happy event.

“Please know that if you participate in this event, you are making a difference,” she added.

Nikki Grossfeld can be reached at [email protected]