Rufo leads PC past Miami (Ohio)

Niko Rufo’s overtime goal against No. 3 Miami (Ohio) propelled the No. 8 Providence hockey team to a 3-2 victory on Friday.

Laura Bittner/Flickr

Steven McParland gave the Friars the lead early in the first period, and Mark Jankowski added an unassisted goal early in the second period to give the Friars the 2-0 lead.

PC, however, surrendered two power-play goals in the third period, which sent the game into overtime. After Blake Coleman cut the deficit in half, Riley Barber evened the score for Miami with a shot that beat Friars goalie Jon Gillies.

The Friars tied Miami the next day to go 4-0-1 on the season. They play their first Hockey East matchup of the season next weekend against Boston University.

BC, Minnesota skate to a tie

A big matchup between some top-5 teams in the nation occurred on Friday night when No. 5 Boston College and No. 1 Minnesota faced off in what turned out to be a 3-3 tie.

The contest concluded in an unofficial shootout win for BC.

Minnesota native Michael Sit scored two goals in a span of 11 seconds midway through the first period for the Eagles.

BC found itself in a quick 2-0 hole, thanks to Hudson Fasching’s goal 30 seconds into the contest. Travis Boyd scored a power-play goal to give Minnesota the 2-0 lead.

Johnny Gaudreau continued his scoring when he triggered three Eagles’ goals in the span of 1:11 in the first period.

Taylor Cammarata buried a game-tying goal at the 15:33 mark in the second period.

BC fell 6-1 to Minnesota on Sunday. They return home to open up Hockey East play Friday night as they take on No. 19 Northeastern (5-1-0).

Chapie scores game winner for UMass Lowell

UMass Lowell handed No. 4 Michigan (4-1-1) its first loss of the season in a 2-1 victory for the River Hawks (3-3-0).

UML struck first with a goal by Ryan McGrath . Its lead was short lived though, as the Wolverines scored 24 seconds later on a shot by Evan Allen.

The River Hawks had a power play opportunity in the third, which they took full advantage of when Adam Chapie scored at the 11:58 mark in the third.

UML will face New Hampshire in a home-and-home series next weekend.

Tyler Fiedler can be reached at [email protected].