UMass senior dies from injuries

A senior University of Massachusetts student died from injuries suffered from a hit and run accident early Saturday morning in Connecticut, according to the Daily Hampshire Gazette.

Meghan Beebe, 21, of Middlebury, Conn., and a sociology major at UMass, was struck by a vehicle in a parking lot in Greenwich, Conn., and pronounced dead at Stamford Hospital hours later, according to the Gazette. An autopsy was scheduled for Monday.

Beebe was a founding member and vice president of the Sociology Club at UMass, a group that aims to build a social community focused on research for causes such as gender discrimination and issues of inequality, according to the Gazette. She also regularly participated in charity events, such as the Relay for Life and the Hot Chocolate Run to help raise money for those less fortunate.

Beebe was reportedly walking with a friend through a parking lot at 2 a.m. Saturday when a red 2006 Pontiac G6 struck her, pinning her beneath the car and dragging her for four blocks, according to the Greenwich Patch. Police said that the driver stopped briefly when the friend tried to stop him but then continued driving.

According to a report on the Greenwich Patch website, Vyacheslav Cherepov, 26, of Ridgefield, Conn., was arrested late Sunday night for fleeing the scene of the crash. He has pleaded not guilty to evading responsibility: serious injury and second-degree manslaughter. He is being held on $500,000 bond.

Police have said it would be “premature” to discuss whether alcohol played a factor, according to the Greenwich Patch.

Funeral arrangements have been set for 11 p.m. Thursday at St. John of the Cross Church in Middlebury, Conn. Friends and family are asked to meet directly at the church. The burial will follow at Lake Elise Cemetery. Calling hours will be held Wednesday, 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at Chase Parkway Memorial/The Albini Family Funeral Home, in Waterbury, Conn.

UMass spokesman Edward Blaguszewski told the Gazette that counseling services will be made available immediately to anyone who needs it.

1 Comment

One Response to “UMass senior dies from injuries”

1. Kevin on November 13th, 2014 8:00 pm

The story is almost a year old according to dates in the story.

• UMass senior dies from injuries

Iraq War veteran speaks about peace literacy education at UMass

• UMass senior dies from injuries

Professor of economics from Jawaharlal Nehru University gives speech on global economics

• UMass senior dies from injuries

Third racist incident targeting Melville Hall this semester sparks discussion forum

• UMass senior dies from injuries

White nationalist flyers discovered on campus

• UMass senior dies from injuries

Blue wave hits Massachusetts, misses governor’s office

• UMass senior dies from injuries

Panel discusses steps women should take studying abroad

• UMass senior dies from injuries

Immigration lawyers host talk with immigrated students

• UMass senior dies from injuries

Teach-in held at UMass in response to Pittsburgh synagogue shooting

• UMass senior dies from injuries

Senator resigns from Student Government Association, citing a ‘sometimes hostile environment’

• UMass senior dies from injuries

Asian American Film Festival to showcase filmmakers Ken Eng, Adele Pham and Wong Fu Productions