UMass senior dies from injuries

By Collegian News Staff

A senior University of Massachusetts student died from injuries suffered from a hit and run accident early Saturday morning in Connecticut, according to the Daily Hampshire Gazette.

Meghan Beebe, 21, of Middlebury, Conn., and a sociology major at UMass, was struck by a vehicle in a parking lot in Greenwich, Conn., and pronounced dead at Stamford Hospital hours later, according to the Gazette. An autopsy was scheduled for Monday.

Beebe was a founding member and vice president of the Sociology Club at UMass, a group that aims to build a social community focused on research for causes such as gender discrimination and issues of inequality, according to the Gazette. She also regularly participated in charity events, such as the Relay for Life and the Hot Chocolate Run to help raise money for those less fortunate.

Beebe was reportedly walking with a friend through a parking lot at 2 a.m. Saturday when a red 2006 Pontiac G6 struck her, pinning her beneath the car and dragging her for four blocks, according to the Greenwich Patch. Police said that the driver stopped briefly when the friend tried to stop him but then continued driving.

According to a report on the Greenwich Patch website, Vyacheslav Cherepov, 26, of Ridgefield, Conn., was arrested late Sunday night for fleeing the scene of the crash. He has pleaded not guilty to evading responsibility: serious injury and second-degree manslaughter. He is being held on $500,000 bond.

Police have said it would be “premature” to discuss whether alcohol played a factor, according to the Greenwich Patch.

Funeral arrangements have been set for 11 p.m. Thursday at St. John of the Cross Church in Middlebury, Conn. Friends and family are asked to meet directly at the church. The burial will follow at Lake Elise Cemetery. Calling hours will be held Wednesday, 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at Chase Parkway Memorial/The Albini Family Funeral Home, in Waterbury, Conn.

UMass spokesman Edward Blaguszewski told the Gazette that counseling services will be made available immediately to anyone who needs it.

1 Comment

One Response to “UMass senior dies from injuries”

1. Kevin on November 13th, 2014 8:00 pm

The story is almost a year old according to dates in the story.

• UMass senior dies from injuries

UMass Mock Trial sees most successful season in program’s history

• UMass senior dies from injuries

Congressman Richard Neal covers the ‘inside baseball’ of politics at UMass

• UMass senior dies from injuries

SGA ratifies election report, Sullivan will serve second term

• UMass senior dies from injuries

‘Mercy, compassion and kindness:’ UMass community comes out in support of Muslim community after the Christchurch attack

• UMass senior dies from injuries

APD investigating five break-ins over spring break

• UMass senior dies from injuries

APD Logs: Friday, March 15 — Sunday, March 17

• UMass senior dies from injuries

The Collegian News Hour S3 E6: Climate change walkout, the SGA and Tan France

• UMass senior dies from injuries

Man dies of apparent suicide near Amherst College

• UMass senior dies from injuries

International Women’s Day celebration honors female and non-binary achievements around the world

• UMass senior dies from injuries

Dozens celebrate Ash Wednesday at the Newman Center