Fall Herb Walk inspires attendees to use herbs in new ways

31 attended the event on Saturday morning
(Yurika Yamazaki/Collegian Correspondent)

On October 6, a Fall Herb Walk was held by community herbalist Jade Alicandro Mace of Milk and Honey Herbs. 31 attendees, including 6 children, gathered at the Amherst Brook Conservation Area to extend their knowledge of herbal preparation and the use of medical and edible plants.

Milk and Honey Herbs, a family-owned farm and business in the rolling hills of Western Massachusetts, welcomed anyone, from people with a deep understanding of herbalism to beginners in herbalism and children.

Alicandro explained at the beginning, “This event is intended for not only trainee herbalists but also any persons who are interested in a biological herbalism and medicinal plants.”

She started the workshop with an explanation of characteristics of some plants, such as burdocks and yellow dock, that grew in the parking lot near fields of herbs.

In the latter half of the workshop, Alicandro took the attendees to fields of the herbs inside the venue. She demonstrated the way how to dig the herbs effectively with a Japanese scoop she regularly used. After the lecture, she distributed a copy of her recipe for Adaptogen Chai to each attendee.

Alicandro’s knowledge of the medical efficiency of the herbs and the way to cook them inspired several of the attendees.

Susan Bloombery, a 62-year-old retiree from Springfield, said, “the reason why I decide to attend this workshop today is to learn how to find and harvest the herbs. It was enjoyable.”

Meghan Webster, a 34-year-old mother who came from Belchertown with her husband and two of her daughters, said, “I am here to learn how to make my own tinctures with the herbs.”

She added, “with the knowledge from today’s workshop, I can make my own tea and tinctures for my family members.”

According to the official website of Milk & Honey Herbs, the farm is now preparing for two other upcoming workshops: “Medicinal Soups & Nourishing Broths” on Oct. 20 and “Rosa Multiflora in Practice & Tree Medicine Plant Walk” from Oct. 25to 29.

Yurika Yamazaki can be reached at [email protected]