Lecture on domestic violence to take place

Rape, Sexual assault and domestic violence are a few of the topics that Elena Featherston’s discussion “Violence Against Women,” will cover. The lecture will be presented by the Sacramento State’s Women’s Resource Center, Tuesday, Sept. 26, at 6 p.m. in the University Union Hinde Auditorium.

Featherston’s lecture will focus on violence towards women as a human rights issue. She will address topics of rape, sexual assault and domestic violence. The discussion will include ethnicity and color as they relate to violence and ways in which women can reclaim their power in relationships.

According to Pat Grady of the Women’s Resource Center, Featherston starts out by getting the audience involved with her high energy and wealth of knowledge.

“Last year the student response was so good that we had to bring her back this year. She is a powerful speaker,” said Grady.

Featherston is a lecturer, workshop leader, writer, cultural critic and filmmaker. In 1994 she published the book “Skin Deep: Women Writing on Color, Culture ‘ Identity.” She has had writings appear in numerous magazines and journals.

She is also the producer/director of the award-winning documentary “Alice Walker: Visions of the Spirit.”

Featherston is an adjunct professor at New Colee of San Francisco in the departments of psychology and literature.

For more information, contact the Women’s Resource Center at 278-7388.