Expert to lecture on health issue and weight management today

Dr. Deborah Riebe from the University of Rhode Island addresses “Healthy-Lifestyle Approach to Weight Management” today at 4 p.m. in the University of Massachusetts Amherst Campus Center, room 1001.

Dr. Riebe has conducted research on the role of exercise in disease prevention, as well as methods of weight control.

Learning about effective ways to manage one’s weight is important because obesity is a major crisis in the United States, said Dr. Priscilla M. Clarkson, UMass professor of exercise science and associate dean for the school of public health and health sciences, or SPHHS.

“There’s no doubt that people in the U.S. are getting larger,” Clarkson said. “We are becoming a nation of super-sized people.”

Obesity is associated with health problems, such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes, said Clarkson. She said children growing up in an increasingly sedentary world, where drive-thru windows are ubiquitous and it is common to spend hours basking in the glow of the television screen or computer monitor, may not live as long as their grandparents do.

“Predictions are being made that this new generation of overweight kids will likely have a shorter life span compared to previous generations because of the health risks of obesity,” said Clarkson. “We are looking to researchers like Dr. Riebe to help solve our country’s battle against obesity.”

Preceding Dr. Riebe’s lecture, UMass graduate students will present their research in the fields of health and the health sciences at the SPHHS seventh Annual Poster Session at 1 p.m. in Campus Center room 1001. Topics include research on diabetes, exercise, nutrition and pregnancy.

SPHHS and the Rho Chapter of the Delta Omega Honorary Public Health Society are co-sponsoring the SPHHS Poster Session and Dr. Riebe’s talk. The events are free and open to the public. Refreshments will be served.

-Michelle Dozois