Chocolate could improve health

MISSISSIPPI STATE, Miss. – Baron Justus von Liebig, a German chemist in the 1800s, once said, “Chocolate is a perfect food, as wholesome as it is delicious, a beneficent restorer of exhausted power.” Although these words were spoken 200 years ago, they are surprisingly accurate. Again and again, recent studies are proving the many and varied health benefits of chocolate.

Hundreds of years ago, Europeans may not have had scientific proof of chocolate’s nutrients, but they realized its health value. As early as the late 16th century, people began using chocolate medicinally. Many people believed it cured illnesses such as fever or tuberculosis. By the 17th century, chocolate was considered an extravagance that only the nobility could afford.

In modern times, candy bars and high-fat snacks containing chocolate have given it a reputation as an unhealthy indulgence. Chocolate in itself, though, is by no means bad for you. In fact, if taken in moderation, it may actually improve your health.

I realize some of you are probably eyeing this article skeptically. All your life, you have heard about chocolate’s negative effects: it gives you cavities, it causes acne, it makes you fat. I am not encouraging excessive consumption of the sweet; however, it has some scientifically proven health benefits.

The healthiest kinds of chocolate are those composed of at least 30 percent chocolate solids, also known as cocoa. The healthiest forms of chocolate are dark chocolate and hot cocoa. Dark chocolate is more beneficial because it has the highest cocoa levels; it has a higher concentration of chocolate solids, sometimes amounting to 70 percent. Also, dark chocolate contains more flavoniods than other types of chocolate. Flavoniods are antioxidants that work to prevent cancer and to maintain a healthy heart. Chocolate contains over 300 chemicals, including potassium, iron, calcium and a plethora of vitamins. Also, it is the best natural source of magnesium, which contributes to preventing hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, joint problems and PMS.

Flavoniods are substantially effective in protecting cardiac health. They inhibit artery damage by consuming destructive free radicals, which attack human cells. They also slow down platelet aggregation, which is a potential factor in heart attacks and strokes. An especially potent flavoniod is epicatechin. A study done by University of San Francisco researchers indicated that this chemical, which is most concentrated in dark chocolate, significantly improved subjects’ blood flow.

Another area that chocolate can improve is cholesterol. One-third of the fat in chocolate comes from oleic acid. This is monounsaturated, a healthier type of fat. Another one-third of chocolate’s fat comes from stearic acid. This is a saturated fat; however, it does not raise bad (LDL) cholesterol levels. Instead, the liver converts stearic acid into oleic acid. Studies have also shown that dark chocolate can increase good (HDL) cholesterol by up to 10 percent.

Other areas that chocolate aids include lowered blood pressure, cancer prevention and mental health. A study done by researchers at University of L’Aquila in Italy found that eating 100 grams of dark chocolate per day for 15 days lowered subjects’ blood pressure. Antioxidants aid in inhibiting cancer; chocolate has more of these than either red wine or green tea. Chocolate’s mental benefit is happiness. Eating chocolate releases serotonin into your brain; this is an anti-depressant that makes a person feel elated. Also, chocolate liberates endorphins. And if you have watched “Legally Blonde,” then you know that endorphins make you happy.

This is not a license to gorge on chocolate. Moderation is the key. Candy bars still have high levels of saturated fat and calories, so be careful. Check the nutrition content of what you choose, and eat responsibly.