La Salle field hockey earns two individual awards from Atlantic 10

The La Salle field hockey team has the honor of having both Atlantic 10 Player and Rookie of the Week honors, heading into the fourth week of the season.

Midfielder Beth Carey and Massachusetts goalkeeper Alesha Widdall earned co-Player of the Week honors. Carey scored two goals and assisted on three of her teammates’ in the past week. The honor marks the first time in over two years that an Explorer (3-4) was named Player of the Week.

Carey leads the Explorers in goals (four), assists (three) and points (11). She is also one of the A-10’s top three leaders in those categories.

Midfielder Rebecca Chylack earned A-10 Rookie of the Week honors for the first time in her career after scoring two goals and picking up two assists this past week. She helped the Explorers win their games against Longwood and Siena. Chylack scored with less than a minute in regulation, forcing overtime as well as scoring the game-winning goal against the Lancers.

Having an Explorer pick up both honors marks a turnaround. After losing their first three games of the season, La Salle bounced back to win three of their next four. Its next game is Friday against Bucknell.

Rams suffer first loss

West Chester is no longer undefeated after its first loss of the season to No. 2 North Carolina. The Tar Heels shut-out the Golden Rams, 6-0.

West Chester’s defense did little to stop the Tar Heels (6-0) as both of its goalkeepers totaled one save.

Despite the loss, the Golden Rams (5-1) are off to one of their best starts in program history, the best in over 20 years. They look to regain their winning momentum Friday as they host Towson.

In previous games, the West Chester goalkeepers were more productive, shutting out Lehigh, 6-0, as well as keeping Saint Francis and Appalachian State to one goal in both games.

Hawks keep struggling

Saint Joseph’s woes continue as it opened up the season as the A-10’s worst team.

Drexel downed the Hawks, 8-0, giving them their worst loss of the season.

Losing has not been part of the program’s recent history as St. Joseph’s (0-5) has won at least 10 games in the past five seasons, a trend that will end if it does not turn around its season.

St. Joe’s lost a few seniors from last year’s team due to graduation, including forward Krista Bordogna, who tallied career highs in goals, assists and points.

The Hawks’ struggle can also be attributed to their tough schedule early in the season. Their opponents include No. 11 Duke and the No. 14 Dragons. St. Joe’s combined opponents’ record is 17-7 as well as being outscored 22-7.

The Hawks will head out on the road this season to Evanston, Ill., to face Missouri State this Saturday.

Juan Pacheco can be reached at jcpachec@student.umass.edu.