Hockey East notebook: Providence edges Boston University, 6-5

Boston College downs UConn, 5-1

It was quite the nail-biter at Schneider Arena on Saturday night, as Providence held on to beat Boston University in a high scoring affair, 6-5.

Sophomore Jack Dugan shined for the Friars (5-3-2, 3-2-1 Hockey East) in the win, recording four assists to lead the way, while freshman Max Crozier scored his first two collegiate goals, the latter of which marked the game winner. Jamie Engelbert also scored his first collegiate goal in his first career game for Providence.

BU junior David Farrance did everything he could for the Terriers (2-3-4, 1-2-3 HEA) in the loss, registering a hat trick and an assist, but it wasn’t enough. Anaheim Ducks prospect and freshman Trevor Zegras put up three points, with two of his assists leading to Farrance’s goals.

Providence scored the first goal of the game on a one-timer from Michael Callahan on the power play. BU got on the board 26 seconds later on Farrance’s first goal to tie the game. Farrance then put the Terriers ahead with his second goal, three and a half minutes later on the man advantage.

Trailing by one, the freshmen took over the scoresheet for the Friars, recording three unanswered goals from Engelbert, Crozier and Parker Ford.

BU fought back against the flurry of goals, scoring two unanswered of their own from Zegras and the third of the night from Farrance, to tie the game at four in the second period.

Tyce Thompson broke the tie just over a minute later, scoring his eighth goal of the season for Providence, which was followed up by Crozier’s eventual game-winner early in the third period.

Ethan Phillips cut the deficit to one for the Terriers, but it was too little, too late as BU didn’t register a single shot on goal with the extra attacker in the closing seconds of the third period.

Dugan added to his conference leading point total with his four-assist performance. He leads Hockey East with 24 points, eight more than the second highest scorer, Tyce Thompson.

Boston College dominates UConn, 5-1

Boston College downed Connecticut 5-1 on Saturday night at the XL Center.

Eagles (5-4-0, 3-2-0 Hockey East) junior Aapeli Rasanen had a productive night, carrying BC with a hat trick and an assist in the win, scoring a goal in every period. Florida Panthers prospect and freshman Spencer Knight had a relatively easy workload, only facing 17 shots with 16 saves.

UConn (2-5-1, 1-3 HEA) had seldom bright spots in the loss, but sophomore netminder Tomas Vomacka did what he could, making 41 saves while getting peppered with 46 shots in the loss.

Vomacka faced 23 shots in the first period, while the Huskies only managed to get six on net in the opening frame.

Rasanen opened the scoring for BC midway through the first, and was followed up by a snapshot from senior Ben Finkelstein that doubled the lead and ultimately proved to be the game-winner.

Rasanen scored his second goal of the game on the power play in the second period off a shot on a rebound that beat the vulnerable Vomacka at the front of the net. UConn scored its only goal of the game at the end of the second period from Vladislav Firstov, which cut the deficit to 3-1.

That would be it for the Huskies, as the Eagles answered two minutes later after an Alex Newhook breakaway chance was denied, but the rebound was put home by freshman Mike Hardman. Rasanen completed his hat trick in the third period, assisted by Hardman, and BC cruised to a 5-1 win.

The Eagles look to continue their three-game win streak when they hit the road to play two games against Vermont this weekend.

UConn looks to bounce back BC when it returns home to host UMass Lowell on Friday.

Scott Marro can be reached at [email protected].