UMass men’s soccer look to surprise the Atlantic 10 conference for the second consecutive season -

Third and 20 S2 Episode 8 -

Author, poet and ex-con gives talk on criminal justice reform -

Israeli writer Ari Shavit speaks at Integrative Learning Center -

Alex DeSantis continues strong play for UMass men’s soccer as season reaches midway point -

Andrew Ford looks to continue to lead UMass football’s torrid offensive passing attack -

Sunset Grill and Pizza adjusts as a new restaurant in Amherst -

UMass field hockey falls 8-1 to No. 1 UConn -

Offensive-oriented practices hold high hopes for UMass women’s soccer with A-10 opener Thursday -

Hyper-stress on college campuses: a culture of high achievement leads to increased rates of mental illnesses -

Race of candidates should not affect voter turnout -

Students share what keeps them happy during the fall -

Harvest’s millennial-pandering replacement to Chameleon Cold Brew leaves caffeine fans at a loss -

Guide to fall 5K races and beyond -

UMass Votes Coalition hosts voter registration event -

Brettell presents on U.S. immigration policies -

UMass field hockey team seeks revenge against undefeated UConn -

UMass running back Marquis Young looks to build off momentum gained against Mississippi State -

UMass hockey announces captains for 2016-17 season -

Andy Isabella finds his niche within the UMass football offense -

Hailey Beam named to College Soccer Team of the Week

On top of two victories from this past weekend, Charlotte senior midfielder Hailey Beam was also named to the Women’s College Soccer Team of the Week by TopDrawerSports.com. In the 49ers’ (13-2-1, 7-0-1 A-10) win over Richmond and George Washington, Beam helped out with one goal and four assists.

Friday’s game against the Spiders (8-6-2, 4-2-1 A-10) opened up with a pair of goals from junior Whitney Weinraub. Beam set up Weinraub’s first goal and her first assist of the weekend with a pass from midfield. Less than a minute later, Weinraub scored again to increase her goals this season to 11. Charlotte’s star senior contributed again with a goal in the second half, the 37th of her career. Sophomore Jenna McKeon wrapped up the scoring in the 76th minute to set the final score of 4-0.

Richmond didn’t get any goals pass the 49ers’ defense, who allowed only four shots total. Goalkeeper Lauren Brown tallied her sixth shutout of the season for the win.

Sunday’s Senior Day game did not leave any seniors disappointed as Charlotte inched past George Washington (4-7-4, 1-4-2 A-10) to remain unbeaten in A-10 conference standings. The 49ers’ offense struggled in the first half and trailed behind the Colonials until late in the second half. Lacey McGowan scored her first goal of the game on a header in the 65th minute, and scored again to tie the game seven minutes later. The 49ers avoided overtime with the game-winner from sophomore Macky Wingo.

Beam assisted all three goals, which raised her career points to 99. Along with being named to the Women’s College Soccer Team, she also earned A-10 Player of the Week honors.

Perfect season continues

Dayton’s perfect season survived conference play and some bad weather last weekend with a win over Duquesne.

The Flyers (10-0-5, 6-0-1 A-10) were scheduled to face St. Bonaventure (8-7-0, 5-1-0 A-10) on Friday in Olean, N.Y. The game was rescheduled due to inclement weather.

However, it took 12 minutes in Sunday’s game against Duquesne (4-10-0, 0-6-1 A-10) for Dayton to continue its dominance. Freshman Colleen Williams was the first to strike for the Flyers, followed by Tori Oelschlager 47 seconds later. Senior Lauren McCormick also scored in the first half, to give Dayton a comfortable lead. The final goal came from junior Allison Giner in the 68th minute for the 4-1 win.

Dayton’s defense contributed to the win by allowing five shots the entire game. The one goal given up was just the fifth of the season for goalkeeper Lisa Rodgers.

This win keeps Dayton unbeaten in both conference play and overall standings. Stanford is the only other team in NCAA Division I yet to be defeated, tying the Flyers for the top spot.

Second Rookie of the Week for Fordham

For the second time this season, Fordham boasts the honor of an A-10 Rookie of the Week. Freshman Sarah Zieman posted two shutouts against Saint Joseph’s and Temple this weekend.

Friday’s victory over Saint Joseph’s started off slow for the Ram’s offense, with a scoreless first half. In the 67th minute, Annie Worden took an assist from Katie McDermott to score the one and only goal of the game. The Hawks could not answer, leaving the score at 1-0.

The game served as Zieman’s first career start and shutout. She joins Rachel Suther as the only two freshman goalkeepers of Fordham history to shut-out an opponent in their first start.

Zieman continued her dominance in the net during Sunday’s game versus Temple. The Rams took an early lead in the first 15 minutes of play with a goal from Leah Loguidice. The Owls tied the game seven minutes later at 1-1. Brittany Hogan scored the second and final goal for Fordham, giving the Rams a 2-1 victory.

Zieman made three saves during the game to give her team the win and a second shutout of the weekend.

Geena Lombardi can be reached at glombard@student.umass.edu