Atkins’ season so great, apples can’t stay on trees -

‘The Next Iron Chef’’s Marc Forgione speaks at UMass -

Record start powers UMass football to 55-20 win over Georgia Southern -

Nashville Predators head coach Peter Laviolette spends off-day in Amherst -

UMass field hockey loses weekend set -

Minutewomen fail to make A-10 tournament, lose to Flyers -

DeSantis penalty kick lifts UMass men’s soccer over Dayton -

It’s time to reform RAPs at UMass -

Safe spaces and the politics of paranoia -

Letter: Hold Clinton accountable for her mistakes -

Destroyer’s ‘ken’ is a perfect median of rock and techno -

Experienced Ohio State club too much for UMass hockey in 3-0 loss -

Season-high 29 saves from Matt Murray proves lone highlight in UMass hockey’s 3-0 shutout loss to Ohio State -

UMass football picks up first win of the season in blowout win over Georgia Southern -

Student in critical condition after pedestrian-vehicle accident on Friday -

UMass women’s soccer fails to secure spot in A-10 tournament with loss to Saint Louis -

Struggles with special teams sinks UMass hockey -

UMass hockey drops second of the year in 3-1 loss to Ohio State -

Amazon textbook contract ending in December 2018 -

UMass field hockey heads into crucial A-10 matchup -

Minutewomen sweep Vermont over the weekend

Building on momentum from two wins the previous weekend, the Massachusetts women’s club hockey team swept Vermont, 5-1, on Friday night and 3-2 on Saturday morning.

Friday’s game started off slow with a scoreless first period for both sides. Each team had a power play opportunity, yet neither could find the back of the net.

After a few missed opportunities, freshman Heather Paonessa did not waste another power play as she put UMass (4-2) on the board in the first minute of the second period with a goal assisted by captains Samantha Mack and Hayley Kuhn. Three minutes later, fellow freshman Stephanie Schlosky took the puck down the ice and put it past UVM’s Kelsey Preston.

The third goal of the period came from junior captain Catherine O’Brien at the eight minute, 45 second mark. Junior Caitlin Scannell and senior Angela Rufo were credited with the assists.

The second period also served as the lone time the Catamounts (2-3) offense made it past Minutewomen goaltender Katie Avery. Ashley Boucher scored off an assist by Michaela Semnara at the 16:01 mark to put Vermont on the board. Avery made 18 saves to hold UVM at a single goal.

Sophomore Ashley White put the Maroon and White up by three with a goal, 17 minutes into the third period. Kuhn scored the final goal for UMass at the 5:05 mark.

Despite seven penalties from the Minutewomen, six of those occurring in the third period, the Catamounts could not capitalize on any of these scoring opportunities. Offense was not lacking for UMass, as it outshot its opponent, 25-18.

UVM appeared to come to life on Saturday’s game with a dominating performance in the first and second period. Boucher scored again for the Catamounts, putting her team in the lead in the 12th minute of play. Whitney Marmer followed with a goal two minutes later, giving Vermont a 2-0 advantage going into the second period. Both goals scored during power plays, which UVM didn’t have the day before.

After an inactive second period with no scoring, Massachusetts came out strong for the third period. Kuhn stepped up into her leadership position and put her team on the board at the 14:58 mark. Fellow captain O’Brien also played her part as she scored a minute later off of assists from Rufo and Scannell. With the game tied at 2-2, freshman Rufo came through for her team as she took a pass from O’Brien and slid the puck past Vermont goalie Preston to win the game for the Minutewomen.

The UMass defense held off the Catamounts offense for the remaining 11 minutes to give Massachusetts the victory. Kelsey Magrane took over the position of goalie, stopping 19 shots.

The Minutewomen will return to the ice this weekend when they travel to Kingston, R.I., to face the Rhode Island.

Geena Lombardi can be reached at glombard@student.umass.edu.