UMass’ women’s club hockey slumps to Concordia University 3-1

The Minutewomen fall after facing offensive onslaught
Daily+Collegian
Cade Belisle
Daily Collegian

In a defensive game, the Massachusetts women’s club hockey team fell 3-1 to Concordia University Friday night.

The Minutewomen (10-13-1) faced off against the Cardinals (8-12) at the Mullins Center Community Rink in a desperate attempt to return to their winning ways. UMass entered the game coming off a 3-0 loss to the University of Rhode Island. However, Concordia posed more of an offensive threat than UMass seemed to be expecting.

The Cardinals launched an offensive assault on goaltender Sarah Matthews’ net. Facing 41 shots on goal, Matthews had a tough fight for the entirety of the three frames. As Concordia seemed to have the upper hand in keeping control of the puck, UMass’ 28 shots on goal paled in comparison.

“…We didn’t put forth our best effort, we didn’t get the [win] because of it. So we have to bring a more consistent effort and we have to learn how to want to win,” head coach Bill Wright said. “That just hasn’t been there for the last 10 or 12 games.”

However, the Minutewomen fought vigilantly, most notably in the second period of the game with a total of eight penalties awarded between the two teams, highlighting that UMass wasn’t going down without a fight. The tense atmosphere on the ice led to UMass beginning the third and final frame of play down a woman as Grace Flanagan was finishing her second penalty from the previous period.

When the game first started, the Minutewomen and Cardinals seemed to be an even match. UMass’ Hannah Gromko kickstarted the action by scoring within the first three and a half minutes of play. From a mistake on Concordia’s defensive line, Gromko started an offensive drive down the length of the ice and was left unguarded with a clear shot on goal. Shooting at Eva Kingston, the opposition’s goaltender, the puck curved around her into the back of the net, starting the scoring for the night.

“… It was a good team effort by everybody. I think we had a good breakout. I think Lily [Sparrow] or Abby [Dunn], one of my linemates, gave me a good pass,” Gromko said. “It wasn’t a great shot but it went in.”

To try and get the puck in the net one last time, Wright called a timeout with 52 seconds left on the clock. After action resumed, Matthews was pulled from the ice so the Minutewomen could gain an offensive advantage over the Cardinals. However, this attempt proved futile as the third and final goal was scored with 13 seconds left of play time. Concordia’s Sienna Basile sealed her team’s victory by skating down the ice and curving the puck into the back of UMass’ unguarded goal.

“Trying to set something up, where we could get the puck out of the zone and get possession,” Wright said. “That’s all [the timeout] was.”

The Minutewomen once again hope to return to their winning ways when they face the Cardinals once again. UMass will be back in action on Saturday, Feb. 17 at 11:20 a.m. at the Mullins Center Community Rink.

Emma Bensley can be reached at [email protected]