UMass men’s soccer look to surprise the Atlantic 10 conference for the second consecutive season -

Third and 20 S2 Episode 8 -

Author, poet and ex-con gives talk on criminal justice reform -

Israeli writer Ari Shavit speaks at Integrative Learning Center -

Alex DeSantis continues strong play for UMass men’s soccer as season reaches midway point -

Andrew Ford looks to continue to lead UMass football’s torrid offensive passing attack -

Sunset Grill and Pizza adjusts as a new restaurant in Amherst -

UMass field hockey falls 8-1 to No. 1 UConn -

Offensive-oriented practices hold high hopes for UMass women’s soccer with A-10 opener Thursday -

Hyper-stress on college campuses: a culture of high achievement leads to increased rates of mental illnesses -

Race of candidates should not affect voter turnout -

Students share what keeps them happy during the fall -

Harvest’s millennial-pandering replacement to Chameleon Cold Brew leaves caffeine fans at a loss -

Guide to fall 5K races and beyond -

UMass Votes Coalition hosts voter registration event -

Brettell presents on U.S. immigration policies -

UMass field hockey team seeks revenge against undefeated UConn -

UMass running back Marquis Young looks to build off momentum gained against Mississippi State -

UMass hockey announces captains for 2016-17 season -

Andy Isabella finds his niche within the UMass football offense -

UMass offers high school students a chance at polymer research

The University of Massachusetts Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC) is accepting applications from high school students interested in gaining first-hand laboratory research experience.

The Center will give the students the opportunity to work on polymer research in the lab in the 11th year of the ASPIRE program, which will start next January and February.

The program consists of a series of experiments and laboratory-based discussions conducted by UMass graduate students in the Polymer Science and Engineering Program designed for high school students.

ASPIRE meets for five straight Saturdays, with this year’s session kicking off Jan. 9 and concluding Feb. 13.

According to the ASPIRE page on the Polymer Science and Engineering website, the program’s goal is to give high school students introductions to various disciplines of science they would not be exposed to in the classroom.

Students who wish to enroll in the program need a recommendation from a local high school science teacher, and space is limited to 15 students per year.

The department advises students and their families who wish to participate in the ASPIRE course to attend the department’s once-monthly outreach lecture, which is given for kindergarten through grade 12 students, to get an introduction to the department and learn about its functions.

Seniors are given highest priority for enrollment, but juniors and sophomores may also apply to participate.

Application forms can be found on the program’s website at Pse.umass.edu/academics/programs_courses/aspire.html, and can be faxed to Greg Dabrowski, ASPIRE and Outreach advisor, at 413-545-0082. 

– Collegian News Staff