UMass hockey competes hard, falls to No. 10 Providence College in overtime -

Overtime goal hands UMass hockey its 15th straight loss in regular season finale -

Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

UMass offers high school students a chance at polymer research

The University of Massachusetts Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC) is accepting applications from high school students interested in gaining first-hand laboratory research experience.

The Center will give the students the opportunity to work on polymer research in the lab in the 11th year of the ASPIRE program, which will start next January and February.

The program consists of a series of experiments and laboratory-based discussions conducted by UMass graduate students in the Polymer Science and Engineering Program designed for high school students.

ASPIRE meets for five straight Saturdays, with this year’s session kicking off Jan. 9 and concluding Feb. 13.

According to the ASPIRE page on the Polymer Science and Engineering website, the program’s goal is to give high school students introductions to various disciplines of science they would not be exposed to in the classroom.

Students who wish to enroll in the program need a recommendation from a local high school science teacher, and space is limited to 15 students per year.

The department advises students and their families who wish to participate in the ASPIRE course to attend the department’s once-monthly outreach lecture, which is given for kindergarten through grade 12 students, to get an introduction to the department and learn about its functions.

Seniors are given highest priority for enrollment, but juniors and sophomores may also apply to participate.

Application forms can be found on the program’s website at Pse.umass.edu/academics/programs_courses/aspire.html, and can be faxed to Greg Dabrowski, ASPIRE and Outreach advisor, at 413-545-0082. 

– Collegian News Staff