UMass hockey competes hard, falls to No. 10 Providence College in overtime -

Overtime goal hands UMass hockey its 15th straight loss in regular season finale -

Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Hockey East standings get tighter

After winning handily in two games this week, the Maine hockey team improves to .500 in conference play to move up in the standings.

The Black Bears (6-7-1, 4-4-1 Hockey East) captured a win at No. 3 UMass Lowell, 3-1 and another at home against St. Lawrence, 10-1.

Against St. Lawrence, Maine sped out to a lead 29 seconds into the game, and was up 5-0 after one period. Three players scored at least four points in the contest, and passing was on display, serving up 18 assists.

The Black Bears’ success this week was propelled by the play of captain Tanner House and goalkeeper Scott Darling. House accounted for four goals on eight shots as well two assists on the weekend, earning himself Co-Player of the Week honors.

Darling improved his record to 6-3-1 in goal for Maine, turning away 27 shots on Friday and 17 Saturday in 40 minutes of play. Darling was noticed for his performance and received the Pure Hockey Defensive Player of the Week award.

The Black Bears finish the month of November, 3-3-1. They look to continue their climb up the Hockey East rankings when they host Providence on Friday.

BU wins in five-overtime thriller

Boston University’s resiliency was on display this week, skating to two overtime decisions in non-conference play.

The Terriers found their fourth victory of the season and evened the score against a top-tier team.

It took BU (4-7-2, 2-6-1 HEA) five overtime periods to down Harvard (1-5-2, Eastern College Athletic Conference), extending the Crimson’s winless streak to seven games on Tuesday.

The Terriers found themselves down four times only to even the score. The last of these rallies came with 53 seconds to play in regulation. After 84 total minutes of play, sophomore Chris Connolly won it for the visiting team.

BU enjoyed a 49-26 shot advantage in the game but was only able to convert on 12 percent of its attempts.

Three overtime periods failed to produce a clear winner on Saturday as the Terriers played to a stalemate against No. 7 Cornell. BU escaped from Madison Square Garden with a tie, coming back from two goals down in the third period against the Big Red (6-2-1, 5-2-0 ECAC).

The Terriers displayed dominant shooting for the second straight game, slapping 35 total shots on net.

On the season, BU has fared better outside of its conference, posting a 2-1-1 record against non-Hockey East foes.

River Hawks drop back-to-back games

UMass Lowell dropped two spots in the Hockey East standings, losing two games against struggling opponents.

After winning four consecutive games, the No. 3 River Hawks (8-4-1, 4-3-1 HEA) gave up back-to-back contests against conference opponents Providence and Maine.

On Tuesday, Lowell saw a 1-0 lead evaporate against the Friars in a 4-2 loss. Providence outshot the River Hawks, 31-22, over the final 40 minutes, making the most of their power plays.

Friday marked the first time Lowell has lost consecutive games this season. After a scoreless first period, Maine took control in the second period taking a 2-1 lead, and tacked on another goal in the final frame, winning, 3-1.

UMass-Lowell was one point behind New Hampshire for position atop the Hockey East standings coming into last week (9 points). They now find themselves tied for fourth with the Black Bears.

They will look to redeem themselves on Friday when they visit conference leader New Hampshire.

Dan Gigliotti can be reached at dgigliot@student.umass.edu.