UMass women’s soccer falls to Central Connecticut 3-0 in home opener -

Preseason serves as opportunity for young UMass men’s soccer players -

Amherst Fire Department website adds user friendly components and live audio feed -

UMass takes the cake for best campus dining -

Two UMass students overcome obstacles to win full-ride scholarships -

The guilt of saying ‘guilty’ -

Bonnies down pre-season favorite Marist

The St. Bonaventure women’s basketball team took a decisive 61-43 victory on Sunday against visiting Marist.

Senior Dana Mitchell was able to collect her seventh career double-double for the Bonnies with 22 points and a season high 10 rebounds in the win. Mitchell is now fourth on the all-time scoring list for the Bonnies.

St. Bonaventure (8-0) shot 22-of-49 from the floor on the night and went 12-of-13 from the free throw line.

The Bonnies started the game with a 10-2 run before seeing their lead turn into a three-point deficit with six minutes to play in the first half after the Red Foxes (4-3) went on a 9-2 run of their own. After back-and-forth play before the end of the first half, St. Bonaventure took a 27-21 lead.

In the second half, the Bonnies’ high-powered offense was put on display. The team started the second frame with a 15-6 run that was highlighted by back-to-back 3-pointers by freshman Chelsea Bowker. St. Bonaventure held the lead for the duration of the game.

The Marist offense was lead by Rachele Fitz who had 13 points, and Corielle Yarde added 11 points.

Spiders earn win over rival VCU

Richmond junior Brittani Shells recorded her first career double-double with 18 points and 11 rebounds in her team’s 66-52 victory over cross-town rival Virginia Commonwealth University. Sophomore Abby Oliver also added 15 points off the bench for the Spiders.

Both teams started the game slowly on the offensive front and were mostly evenly matched. The first half saw ties at 4-4 as well as at 17-17 before Richmond (7-2) took a 23-17 lead with four minutes to play and extended its lead going into the break.

The game was won in the second half when the Spiders out-rebounded the Rams (3-2), 26-11, contributing to a 52-32 edge in rebounds for the game. VCU was also held to 33 percent shooting on the day, contributing to its offensive struggles.

Andrew Morrison can be reached at ajmorris@student.umass.edu.