Du Bois Library renovations on track

Over the past few months, the W.E.B. Du Bois Library at the University of Massachusetts has seen a vast number of renovations going on under its tall shadow. The renovations have been part of an ongoing project to improve the appearance of the learning space, as well as create a better learning area for the students at the University.

So far, the improvements have included installing “ADA motorized doors into the Assistive Technology Center,” according to Theresa Warner, the assistant director for administrative services. This project was funded by the Campus Accessibility Board, which aims to aid the UMass community by making it more accessible for students and faculty using wheelchairs to get around the library.

Warner states that the new ADA-motorized doors will not only allow easier accessibility for students in wheelchairs, but also “allow for the quiet environment necessary to use some of the specialized software that utilizes voice.” These new improvements are designed to create a more comfortable learning environment for students. Over winter session, improvements included the expansion of the learning commons, allowing for more computers to be available to students. Warner says that when the project is complete, “the library will have a new service point on the lower level which will merge the circulation and reserves services into one area.”

This merge will provide easier accessibility to students who wish to check out electronics such as laptops, camcorders and headphones. Students will also be able to check out and return books at this same location rather than moving from the ground floor, first floor and third floor to complete these tasks at individual locations.

Starting after this year’s commencement, there will be an elevator renovation project which will bring the current elevators up to date and up to speed. It has been almost two years since the elevator replacement project began its search for funding. Soon after the funding was finalized, the design process began. The amount of time it will take to complete all the elevator renovations is uncertain.

Of the facility projects that have been ongoing, some include the electrical upgrade project in the Integrated Sciences and Engineering Library; and the heating, ventilating and air conditioning project in the W.E.B. Du Bois Library. The electrical upgrade project itself was funded by the campus facilities and capital project revenues, while the HVAC project is state-funded.

The HVAC project is estimated to take two or more years, while the electrical upgrade project has been ongoing for six months and will take about one year. Warner says these improvements are necessary because the systems were aged and needed to be updated (referring to the HVAC, elevators and electrical systems). They were also necessary for added capacity and more efficiency. The goal of these improvements is to “create a 21st century library, with comfortable space and services and resources that serve the needs of the students and faculty,” said Warner.

“I’m very excited about having more computers in the Learning Commons,” said student Akiyah Francis, who noted that she thought the improvements to the library are “more than welcome.”

Jessica Bonheur can be reached at [email protected].