BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Minutewomen take care of business against American -

Monday, December 8, 2014

UMass women’s basketball handles American, 71-61 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

UMass basketball downed by Florida Gulf Coast 84-75 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

UMass claims second-place finish at Holy Cross

The Massachusetts rowing team came away with a second-place finish at Lake Quinisgamond at Holy Cross in Worcester Saturday.

Among the Minutewomen and the Crusaders, competing schools included Massachusetts Institute of Technology, New Hampshire and Williams, which sits atop the polls as the nation’s top Division III crew. The regatta came after an intense training session on the UMass campus Friday morning.

Before the Minutewomen even stepped foot in the lake at Holy Cross, they were already pretty tired, UMass coach Jim Dietz said. Many of the team’s rowers were attaining personal records in what was a “max 2k” or 2,000 meter test session Friday morning. The test session was “good for them psychologically” and it gave the team high morale, Dietz said.

When the Minutewomen got to Holy Cross, they were able to stay consistent throughout the 2,000 meter regatta. UMass captured second-place finishes in the Varsity 8 in 7:29.51, the second Varsity 8 in 7:45.3, the Varsity 4 in 8:36.03 and the third Varsity 8 in 7:29.5. The Novice 8 was able to place first in a time of 8:17.44. In all, with four second-place finishes, the Minutewomen trailed only the Purple Cows, who Dietz said he expected to be very fast.

Dietz said that the team is “working for a peak” and building for the conference championships that will be held in two weeks. Dietz said he holds a testing session about every two weeks that can push his rowers before they taper, or gradually decrease training for the conference championship.

Overall Dietz was pleased with his team’s effort at Holy Cross and said that he is still looking for the right combinations of rowers for specific races. All of the varsity rowers “thought they had good rows” as well.

In a change made from last week’s regatta at Rhode Island, junior Meredith Kearney was moved from the Varsity 4 to the Varsity 8 in order to give that crew “more power”. Teresa O’Brien was also moved from the Varsity 8 to the Varsity 4 and freshman Michaela Streitfield was moved up to varsity from novice.

Dietz said next weekend will include “big time racing” as some of the girls will compete in up to four races a day at the Knecht Cup in Camden, N.J.  The crew will keep training hard to prepare for that regatta, and Dietz plans to continue moving people around in the lineup.

At Holy Cross, the Varsity 8 included Kearney, Samantha Schnoerr, Jennifer Coyne, Kelsey Shacther, Alexandra DiMatteo, Jessica Stern, Samantha Smith, Amanda Doolin and Megan Rodgers. The second Varsity 8 included Streitfield, Molly Bogle, Elizabeth Euiler, Chelsea Wakeham, Emily Grogan, Rachel Spielberg, Katelyn Allocco, Megan Donovan and Ana Tocco. The Varsity 4 included O’Brien, Carly Payne, Emily Boucher, Kathryn Kern and Beth Paret. The three coxswains for the crews were Schnoerr, Bogle and Payne.

Training for UMass has continued to be limited to the indoor ergometers due to the recent flooding.

UMass will start tapering for the Atlantic 10 championships on Sunday, Dietz said.

Eric Mansfield can be reached ateamansfi@student.umass.edu.