UMass closes ahead of inclement weather -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Paranormal Research Society seeks to uncover the truth about the supernatural -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass tops Merrimack 4-1 to cap off successful weekend series -

Monday, January 26, 2015

‘Broad City’s’ second season off to a wickedly funny start -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Students respond to Obama’s State of the Union address -

Monday, January 26, 2015

St. Bonaventure earns tight victory, VCU clinches 11th straight win in Atlantic 10 men’s basketball action -

Monday, January 26, 2015

An open letter to the people who were kind when I was struggling -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass club hockey salvages weekend with tie against NYU on Saturday -

Monday, January 26, 2015

2015 Winter TCA’s announce bevy of show returns and new releases -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Brilliant online film archives for cinema lovers -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass men’s and women’s track and field teams see mixed results in Joe Donahue Indoor Games -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Steve Mastalerz, defense delivers for UMass hockey -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass online graduate programs climb U.S. News & World Report rankings -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Front to Back: Week of Jan. 25, 2015 -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

BLOG: UMass football receives seven verbal commitments -

Sunday, January 25, 2015

UMass plans to fail again with Super Bowl guest policy -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Special teams play fuels late UMass rally, forces tie -

Saturday, January 24, 2015

BLOG: UMass hires Mark Michaels as special teams coordinator, outside linebackers coach -

Friday, January 23, 2015

Former Tibetan political prisoner overcomes odds in Tibet and the US -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

UMass basketball falls flat in loss to St. Joe’s -

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

UMass claims second-place finish at Holy Cross

The Massachusetts rowing team came away with a second-place finish at Lake Quinisgamond at Holy Cross in Worcester Saturday.

Among the Minutewomen and the Crusaders, competing schools included Massachusetts Institute of Technology, New Hampshire and Williams, which sits atop the polls as the nation’s top Division III crew. The regatta came after an intense training session on the UMass campus Friday morning.

Before the Minutewomen even stepped foot in the lake at Holy Cross, they were already pretty tired, UMass coach Jim Dietz said. Many of the team’s rowers were attaining personal records in what was a “max 2k” or 2,000 meter test session Friday morning. The test session was “good for them psychologically” and it gave the team high morale, Dietz said.

When the Minutewomen got to Holy Cross, they were able to stay consistent throughout the 2,000 meter regatta. UMass captured second-place finishes in the Varsity 8 in 7:29.51, the second Varsity 8 in 7:45.3, the Varsity 4 in 8:36.03 and the third Varsity 8 in 7:29.5. The Novice 8 was able to place first in a time of 8:17.44. In all, with four second-place finishes, the Minutewomen trailed only the Purple Cows, who Dietz said he expected to be very fast.

Dietz said that the team is “working for a peak” and building for the conference championships that will be held in two weeks. Dietz said he holds a testing session about every two weeks that can push his rowers before they taper, or gradually decrease training for the conference championship.

Overall Dietz was pleased with his team’s effort at Holy Cross and said that he is still looking for the right combinations of rowers for specific races. All of the varsity rowers “thought they had good rows” as well.

In a change made from last week’s regatta at Rhode Island, junior Meredith Kearney was moved from the Varsity 4 to the Varsity 8 in order to give that crew “more power”. Teresa O’Brien was also moved from the Varsity 8 to the Varsity 4 and freshman Michaela Streitfield was moved up to varsity from novice.

Dietz said next weekend will include “big time racing” as some of the girls will compete in up to four races a day at the Knecht Cup in Camden, N.J.  The crew will keep training hard to prepare for that regatta, and Dietz plans to continue moving people around in the lineup.

At Holy Cross, the Varsity 8 included Kearney, Samantha Schnoerr, Jennifer Coyne, Kelsey Shacther, Alexandra DiMatteo, Jessica Stern, Samantha Smith, Amanda Doolin and Megan Rodgers. The second Varsity 8 included Streitfield, Molly Bogle, Elizabeth Euiler, Chelsea Wakeham, Emily Grogan, Rachel Spielberg, Katelyn Allocco, Megan Donovan and Ana Tocco. The Varsity 4 included O’Brien, Carly Payne, Emily Boucher, Kathryn Kern and Beth Paret. The three coxswains for the crews were Schnoerr, Bogle and Payne.

Training for UMass has continued to be limited to the indoor ergometers due to the recent flooding.

UMass will start tapering for the Atlantic 10 championships on Sunday, Dietz said.

Eric Mansfield can be reached ateamansfi@student.umass.edu.