Massachusetts rowing earns two second place medals at regatta in Boston

(Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)
(Cade Belisle/Daily Collegian)

The Massachusetts rowing team took home two silver medals in a quad-regatta against Boston University, Dartmouth and Northeastern Saturday morning on the Charles River in Boston.

UMass earned second place in both the Second Varsity 8 and Varsity 4 races, as well as fourth place finishes in the Varsity 8, Second Varsity 4 and the Third Varsity 8.

Conditions were just about pitch perfect for the regatta, as the wind was only six miles per hour, which resulted in calm water and made for great racing weather.

In the Second Varsity 8, the Minutewomen finished in 6:43.8, and in the Varsity 4, UMass crossed the line at 7:40.0. The Huskies won the Second Varsity 8 in 6:39.6, and the Big Green finished first in the Varsity 4 with a time of 7:37.4.

UMass competed in the Varsity 8 in the first event of the day and finished in 6:40.3, nine seconds behind Northeastern, who crossed the line at 6:31.6.

The final two races of the day for the Minutewomen saw tight competition in the Second Varsity 4 and the Third Varsity 8. UMass finished with a time of 8:05.1 in the Second Varsity 8, and in 7:22.0 in the Third Varsity 8.

Out of the four schools, Dartmouth left with the most hardware, bringing home five medals, one from each event, and was followed by the Huskies who earned four medals. The Terriers earned a single medal.

The Minutewomen will have a three week rest period until their next race, one of their biggest of the season. UMass will head to Fairfax Station, Virginia on May 8 to compete in the Atlantic-10 championships on the Occoquan Reservoir. The Minutewomen will look to win their third conference title in a row, and 16th in program history when they square off against their conference foes, including longtime rival Rhode Island.

Ryan Ames can be reached at [email protected] or on Twitter @_RyanAmes.