UMass football selected to finish fourth in MAC East preseason poll -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Legislature overrides Baker’s UMass budget cut -

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Report: UMass football’s Todd Stafford arrested Saturday morning in Stamford, Connecticut -

Monday, July 20, 2015

UMass names Molly O’Mara newly-created associate director of athletics for communications and PR -

Monday, July 20, 2015

Baker approves state budget, UMass to receive $5.25 million less than legislature’s proposed figure -

Friday, July 17, 2015

UMass bathroom policy to provide comfort, safety for transgender and non-gender conforming students -

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Long-time UMass professor Normand Berlin, 83, dies -

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

UMass professor and poet James Tate dies at 71 -

Thursday, July 9, 2015

State legislators propose budget, UMass could receive almost $532 million -

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cause of death determined for UMass student Chloe Malast -

Monday, July 6, 2015

Nick Mariano, Zach Oliveri transferring from UMass men’s lacrosse program -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Four months after banning Iranian students from certain graduate programs, UMass announces new measures to ensure compliance with U.S. law -

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Justin King sentenced to eight to 12 years in prison -

Monday, June 29, 2015

Two future UMass hockey players selected in 2015 NHL Draft -

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Supreme Court ruling clears way for same-sex marriage nationwide -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Former UMass center Cady Lalanne taken 55th overall by Spurs in 2015 NBA Draft -

Friday, June 26, 2015

Second of four men found guilty on three counts of aggravated rape in 2012 UMass gang rape case -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Boston bomber speaks out for first time: ‘I am sorry for the lives I have taken’ -

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

King claims sex with woman was consensual during alleged 2012 gang rape -

Wrongful death suit filed in death of UMass student -

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Colonials tie for 1st after rout over SBU

A commanding 15-4 victory over St. Bonaventure on Saturday vaulted the George Washington baseball team into a tie for first place in the Atlantic 10 conference. Capitalizing on six errors by their opponents, the Colonials earned the victory and their second straight series sweep to remain perfect so far this season in conference play.

Despite a 4-for-5 day at the plate for Jesse Bosnik, the Bonnies couldn’t keep pace with the Colonial attack. They recorded double-digit hits for the second straight game, with 11, but the Colonials topped their mark with 13 hits of their own.

Upperclassmen led the offensive explosion for the Colonials, who saw two players hit home runs, three record multi-hit games and five score multiple runs in the contest.

Senior infielder Chris Holland had three hits, two runs batted in and scored two runs. Fellow senior Chris Luick followed suit, recording two hits and scoring three runs in the rout.

Junior Brendon Kelliher and sophomore Stephen Oswald each homered in the win. Kelliher tallied his seventh home run six games into the season. Entering the game as a pinch hitter, Oswald highlighted a seven-run eighth inning with a towering blast over the right field fence and gave the Colonials some insurance.

Pitcher Eric Cantrell earned his fourth win of the season with six scoreless innings and seven strikeouts. Cantrell now leads the team in strikeouts with 49.

George Washington (16-10, 6-0 A-10) travels to Annapolis, Md. on Tuesday to take on the Naval Academy. The Bonnies have lost five straight games and now fall to 4-13 overall and 0-5 in A-10 play.

URI outlasts Fordham

After a marathon 15 innings of back-and-forth play, Rhode Island pushed the winning run across the plate and beat Fordham on Thursday night.

Freshman Kevin Stenhouse’s pinch-hit double in the top of the 15th inning scored Adam Derner and gave URI the 6-5 lead as it held onto for the victory.

URI scored first after a solo home run by sophomore Milan Adams put them up by one in the third inning, but the Rams countered in the next half inning by plating two runners of their own. They added two more runs to their total in the fourth inning, holding onto a 4-1 lead for the next two innings.

In the sixth, URI’s offense awoke and reclaimed the lead after four runners scored in the top half of the inning. Smart base running allowed runners to advance into scoring position, and timely hitting by junior Evan Laude highlighted the inning for the Rams. Fordham failed on a pickoff attempt, which allowed the go-ahead run to score.

Fordham rallied in the bottom of the ninth inning to tie the game at five and send the game into extra innings, where it remained for several frames. Pitcher Daniel Munday struck out three in the last four innings of play, but could not hold on any longer, giving up Stenhouse’s double in the top of the 15th inning.

With the 6-5 win, URI moves to 10-12 and 3-1 in A-10 play, while Fordham drops to 7-17 and 2-2 in the A-10.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.