UMass men’s lacrosse falls to 0-4 with Saturday’s defeat to Brown -

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Strong second half snaps three-game losing streak for UMass -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

‘UMass basketball’ returns in victory over Fordham -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

First quarter woes sink UMass men’s lacrosse in Grant Whiteway’s return -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass hockey falls flat in regular season finale to UConn -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass hockey stumbles offensively against UConn’s tough defensive corps -

Saturday, February 28, 2015

UMass seeks increased energy as it hosts Fordham -

Friday, February 27, 2015

Report: UMass continues search for new athletic director, DeFilippo not an option -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UPDATE: Police to charge UMass football player with two counts of aggravated assault and battery -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Students for Justice in Palestine, administration react to inflammatory posters -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass falls short, lacks energy in 82-71 loss to Saint Joseph’s -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Drake’s surprise mixtape yields few surprises -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Potential shutdown of the Department of Homeland Security offers chance for Republican legislature to learn from its mistakes -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Winless UMass faces Brown -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Jose Gonzalez returns with graceful “Vestiges & Claws” -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

SGA to host Women’s Leadership Symposium -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

UMass women’s basketball finishes road schedule with matchup against Dayton -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Keystone XL pipeline sparks pollution awareness -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Dartmouth and Fordham to start stretch of key games for Minutewomen -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

DeAndre Bembry has career day in win over UMass -

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Colonials tie for 1st after rout over SBU

A commanding 15-4 victory over St. Bonaventure on Saturday vaulted the George Washington baseball team into a tie for first place in the Atlantic 10 conference. Capitalizing on six errors by their opponents, the Colonials earned the victory and their second straight series sweep to remain perfect so far this season in conference play.

Despite a 4-for-5 day at the plate for Jesse Bosnik, the Bonnies couldn’t keep pace with the Colonial attack. They recorded double-digit hits for the second straight game, with 11, but the Colonials topped their mark with 13 hits of their own.

Upperclassmen led the offensive explosion for the Colonials, who saw two players hit home runs, three record multi-hit games and five score multiple runs in the contest.

Senior infielder Chris Holland had three hits, two runs batted in and scored two runs. Fellow senior Chris Luick followed suit, recording two hits and scoring three runs in the rout.

Junior Brendon Kelliher and sophomore Stephen Oswald each homered in the win. Kelliher tallied his seventh home run six games into the season. Entering the game as a pinch hitter, Oswald highlighted a seven-run eighth inning with a towering blast over the right field fence and gave the Colonials some insurance.

Pitcher Eric Cantrell earned his fourth win of the season with six scoreless innings and seven strikeouts. Cantrell now leads the team in strikeouts with 49.

George Washington (16-10, 6-0 A-10) travels to Annapolis, Md. on Tuesday to take on the Naval Academy. The Bonnies have lost five straight games and now fall to 4-13 overall and 0-5 in A-10 play.

URI outlasts Fordham

After a marathon 15 innings of back-and-forth play, Rhode Island pushed the winning run across the plate and beat Fordham on Thursday night.

Freshman Kevin Stenhouse’s pinch-hit double in the top of the 15th inning scored Adam Derner and gave URI the 6-5 lead as it held onto for the victory.

URI scored first after a solo home run by sophomore Milan Adams put them up by one in the third inning, but the Rams countered in the next half inning by plating two runners of their own. They added two more runs to their total in the fourth inning, holding onto a 4-1 lead for the next two innings.

In the sixth, URI’s offense awoke and reclaimed the lead after four runners scored in the top half of the inning. Smart base running allowed runners to advance into scoring position, and timely hitting by junior Evan Laude highlighted the inning for the Rams. Fordham failed on a pickoff attempt, which allowed the go-ahead run to score.

Fordham rallied in the bottom of the ninth inning to tie the game at five and send the game into extra innings, where it remained for several frames. Pitcher Daniel Munday struck out three in the last four innings of play, but could not hold on any longer, giving up Stenhouse’s double in the top of the 15th inning.

With the 6-5 win, URI moves to 10-12 and 3-1 in A-10 play, while Fordham drops to 7-17 and 2-2 in the A-10.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.