UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

UMass softball prepares for a long, busy season in 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defenseman Tyler Weeks makes his way back from ACL injury -

Quiet beauty roars in ‘Lion’ -

UMass heads to Knecht Cup

The Massachusetts rowing team will travel to Camden, N.J., for the Knecht Cup this weekend, a regatta that will include 27 first varsity crews and 50 overall. UMass coach Jim Dietz said of the 27 first varsity crews, his team will be ranked third or fourth, while the second varsity crew will be fourth or fifth out of 18.

All the usual suspects will come out to compete against the Minutewomen, including Atlantic 10 competitors Fordham and Duquesne along with top programs, Buffalo and Duke.

Dietz has not finished the process of sorting the lineups, but knows that some members of the crew will have a heavy workload, racing up to three or four times on Saturday and twice on Sunday. Dietz expects UMass to be competitive and meet the challenge of a regatta that hosts a strong field.

What adds to this regatta is the amount of races that will take place. Instead of including the common boats like the Varsity 8, second Varsity 8 and the Varsity 4, the Knecht Cup will also include the singles, pairs and the quads.

Although the singles, pairs and quads will not be competing for points, these groups are comprised of rowers who may be competing for spots on the 23 and under national team.

Dietz said that his team will learn a lot this weekend. He expects them to learn when to push harder, when to ease up a little and when to maintain a steady pace.

He also believes that among the athletes is a “great team dynamic” that sets the tone for this regatta. The difficult lineup decisions Dietz faces have been made easier as well. Each rower knows that if they are switched from the Varsity 8 to the second Varsity 8 or Varsity 4, it is not a demotion, but a strategy that can make a boat stronger than it was before. Even while being subject to tough decisions, Dietz said the team has a great attitude about the decisions.

Alexandra DiMatteo and Amanda Doolin will be representing the B boat and Elizabeth Euiler and Chelsea Wakeham will take control of the A boat, who Dietz is counting on to win first place.

Only the first and second Varsity 8 boats and the Varsity 4 boat will compete for points. The Single race will include three rowers from UMass, Emily Boucher, Kimberly Patrick and Ellis Brewster.

After this regatta training will diminish gradually as they begin to taper for the Atlantic 10 championships.

Eric Mansfield can be reached at eamansfi@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “UMass heads to Knecht Cup”
  1. Krystal says:

What’s up, of course this post is truly nice and I have learned lot of things from it regarding blogging. thanks.