UMass football fall camp: Minutemen look for Robert Kitching to anchor defensive line -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Closing arguments delivered in Adam Liccardi rape trial -

Monday, August 31, 2015

Early goals sink UMass men’s soccer in loss to Saint Peter’s -

Monday, August 31, 2015

UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass heads to Knecht Cup

The Massachusetts rowing team will travel to Camden, N.J., for the Knecht Cup this weekend, a regatta that will include 27 first varsity crews and 50 overall. UMass coach Jim Dietz said of the 27 first varsity crews, his team will be ranked third or fourth, while the second varsity crew will be fourth or fifth out of 18.

All the usual suspects will come out to compete against the Minutewomen, including Atlantic 10 competitors Fordham and Duquesne along with top programs, Buffalo and Duke.

Dietz has not finished the process of sorting the lineups, but knows that some members of the crew will have a heavy workload, racing up to three or four times on Saturday and twice on Sunday. Dietz expects UMass to be competitive and meet the challenge of a regatta that hosts a strong field.

What adds to this regatta is the amount of races that will take place. Instead of including the common boats like the Varsity 8, second Varsity 8 and the Varsity 4, the Knecht Cup will also include the singles, pairs and the quads.

Although the singles, pairs and quads will not be competing for points, these groups are comprised of rowers who may be competing for spots on the 23 and under national team.

Dietz said that his team will learn a lot this weekend. He expects them to learn when to push harder, when to ease up a little and when to maintain a steady pace.

He also believes that among the athletes is a “great team dynamic” that sets the tone for this regatta. The difficult lineup decisions Dietz faces have been made easier as well. Each rower knows that if they are switched from the Varsity 8 to the second Varsity 8 or Varsity 4, it is not a demotion, but a strategy that can make a boat stronger than it was before. Even while being subject to tough decisions, Dietz said the team has a great attitude about the decisions.

Alexandra DiMatteo and Amanda Doolin will be representing the B boat and Elizabeth Euiler and Chelsea Wakeham will take control of the A boat, who Dietz is counting on to win first place.

Only the first and second Varsity 8 boats and the Varsity 4 boat will compete for points. The Single race will include three rowers from UMass, Emily Boucher, Kimberly Patrick and Ellis Brewster.

After this regatta training will diminish gradually as they begin to taper for the Atlantic 10 championships.

Eric Mansfield can be reached at eamansfi@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “UMass heads to Knecht Cup”
  1. Krystal says:

What’s up, of course this post is truly nice and I have learned lot of things from it regarding blogging. thanks.