Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Minutewomen fall to No. 1 Terps to end regular season

Prior to playing in next weekend’s NCAA Play-In Game, the Massachusetts women’s lacrosse team closed out its regular season on Saturday against Maryland at Ludwig Field.

The contest was a homecoming for Minutewomen head coach Alexis Venechanos and associate head coach Acacia Walker, who were two of the top Terrapins in program history.

Atlantic Coast Conference Champion Maryland (17-1) was the second No. 1-ranked team the Minutewomen faced this season, with the first being against Northwestern in an 18-6 loss back on Feb. 6 to begin the spring.

Coming off of their Atlantic 10 tournament title, UMass (10-9) couldn’t sustain its momentum and fell 14-4 to the Terps.

Senior Merritt Cosgrove played in her 73rd career game for the Minutewomen to set the program’s games played record. She scored half of UMass’ goals for the game, while earning one ground ball and draw control.

Maryland came out of the gates firing on all cylinders, taking a quick 7-0 lead by the 12 minute, eight second mark. All seven goals were scored by different players as the Terps production was spread out throughout the contest.

Facing a large deficit, the Minutewomen could only manage one goal for the half on a free-position score. Sophomore Jesse O’Donnell finally put UMass on the board with 8:52 remaining on her 37th goal of the season, placing her second on the team in goals scored behind junior Jackie Lyons (46).

Maryland continued its hot play to start the second half, scoring four more goals before the Minutewomen could answer with their second score. Sophomore Danielle Pelletier scored an unassisted goal to make it an 11-2 game with 17:06 remaining.

The Terps kept the pressure on UMass and ended any chance of a comeback with three more goals over the next three minutes. Cosgrove scored both of her goals in the final 11 minutes of play, giving the Minutewomen only four scores on the day. The goals marked a season low for UMass, as well as the 13 shots taken.

Maryland, meanwhile, took 29 shots and forced the Minutewomen into 17 turnovers.

UMass goalkeeper Katie Florence made seven saves in nearly 53 minutes of play before being replaced by freshman Christina Fey.

Nine different players scored goals for Maryland, including Sarah Mollison, who led all players with four points (two goals, two assists). Four Terps also had multi-goal games to round out the offensive attack.

On Saturday, UMass will play the winner of the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Championship game between Stanford and Denver in the NCAA Play-In Game. The game will be hosted by the winner of the MPSF championship.

Jay Asser can be reached at jasser@student.umass.edu.