UMass women’s soccer takes complete control in 3-1 win vs. DavidsonFlurry of late goals make it interesting, but UMass had control the whole time in 3-1 win -

Shaughnessy Naughton speaks on STEM professionals in politics -

ESPN author and journalist talks sports and mental health at UMass -

UMass men’s soccer remains unbeaten at home -

Minutewomen split Pennsylvania trip -

Kozlowski’s minutes limited for second straight game in loss versus Fordham -

Late penalty-kick goal not enough vs. Rams -

UMass football nearly upends Tennessee Saturday in 17-13 loss -

A conversation with the Pixies’ Joey Santiago -

The problem with peer mentors -

Jukebox the Ghost take Northampton by storm -

Let them eat cake -

Three weeks in, and two UMass fraternities under suspension -

UMPD crime alert informs campus of motor vehicle theft near Rudd Field Sept. 17 -

‘It’ has revitalized the modern monster movie -

UMass Republicans feel ostracized in political climate -

Irma hits Cuba, putting rain cloud over students’ study abroad plans -

UMass football travels to Tennessee for its first Power Five game of 2017 -

UMass women’s soccer looks ahead to Thursday matchup with Davidson -

Perussault and the Minutewomen are ready for the start of A-10 play -

UMass plays spring game under lights at McGuirk

The Massachusetts football team gave students and fans a preview of its fall talent, hosting its annual Spring Fling Friday night at McGuirk Stadium.

The event was split into two competitions: a combined intersquad scrimmage and an offense vs. defense session. The Maroon team won both portions 33-12 and 27-2, respectively.

“I thought it was a great night, a lot of great energy out there,” UMass coach Kevin Morris said. “I have been very pleased [with the game]. There are a lot of guys who need a lot of good reps and I think we got that done.”

The scrimmages were highlighted by the running back and quarterback play. Junior Octavious Hawkins led the way in the air, throwing for 156 yards on 8-of-15 passing with one touchdown and one interception. On the ground, senior John Griffin scampered in for two touchdowns and freshman Jamar Smith led the game with 59 rushing yards.

Three quarterbacks rotated under center, each taking a substantial number of snaps. Senior Kyle Havens went 8-of-14 for 98 yards, throwing three touchdowns and one interception. The senior connected with running back Jonathon Hernandez for a 25-yard score and again with wide receiver Tom Gilson from 19 yards out.

Wide receiver Woody Carter IV looked sharp in catching two balls for 80 yards. On one drive, the junior ran a hook route, finding space to gain 26 yards and a first down. Two plays later, he evaded defenders sprinting down the sideline for 54 yards and a touchdown.

Freshman quarterback Jesse Hunt delivered both passes to Carter IV. He threw nine times, completing six for 140 yards and a score.

First-year running back Jamar Smith played patiently for the Maroon team, following his blockers and finding the edge for a touchdown.

The senior Griffin will look to lead a deep running core this season.

“There’s definitely a lot of good competition at running back, but I think I can add a different edge,” Griffin said. “Everyone’s got something different to bring to the table. I think we have a really good running back core.”

Junior Jonathan Hernandez ran five times on the night, scoring one touchdown and gaining 35 yards. Jesse Julmiste ran once for 11 yards, also catching two passes for 83 yards and one score.

The evening’s action began with a bang, as a flea-flicker play from the White team led to a Maroon touchdown on the first snap of the game. Wide receiver Julian Talley completed a pass to Hawkins when All-American candidate Tyler Holmes laid a hard hit which forced a fumble and 68 yard return by Ke’Mon Bailey.

Dan Gigliotti can be reached at dgigliot@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “UMass plays spring game under lights at McGuirk”
  1. Umass Student says:

I do not think it is okay that photos are published on this web site without giving credit to those who took them. Your photographers work hard to take these photos and should receive their due credit when their pictures are published.