Former Canisius guard Zach Lewis to transfer to UMass -

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Letter: Deflate-Gate, where’s the air? -

Monday, May 18, 2015

Derrick Gordon announces he will transfer to Seton Hall -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass baseball closes season out with series victory over George Mason -

Sunday, May 17, 2015

UMass to allow four student businesses to accept Dining Dollars next year -

Saturday, May 16, 2015

UMass baseball stymied by John Williams in loss to George Mason -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Jury sentences Tsarnaev to death -

Friday, May 15, 2015

Stop ignoring your white privilege -

Thursday, May 14, 2015

UMass basketball scheduled for showdown with Ole Miss in 2015 Holiday Showcase game -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Letter: Wall is a regression towards racial inequality -

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

UMass falls to Fairfield in extra innings in final home game -

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

UMass basketball recruit Marcquise Reed chooses Clemson -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass baseball drops Senior Day rubber match against URI -

Monday, May 11, 2015

Letter: Shocked at radio host’s ban from WMUA -

Monday, May 11, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in second round of NCAA tournament against top-seeded Maryland -

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Neil deGrasse Tyson: ‘It’s okay not to know’ -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Defense, Eipp’s five goals lead UMass women’s lacrosse past Jacksonville in NCAA tournament -

Friday, May 8, 2015

Quianna Diaz-Patterson closes book on historic senior season, successful career for UMass softball -

Friday, May 8, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse overcomes early struggles to make 2015 playoff run -

Thursday, May 7, 2015

UMass softball fails to reach expectations in up-and-down 2015 season -

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

UMass plays spring game under lights at McGuirk

The Massachusetts football team gave students and fans a preview of its fall talent, hosting its annual Spring Fling Friday night at McGuirk Stadium.

The event was split into two competitions: a combined intersquad scrimmage and an offense vs. defense session. The Maroon team won both portions 33-12 and 27-2, respectively.

“I thought it was a great night, a lot of great energy out there,” UMass coach Kevin Morris said. “I have been very pleased [with the game]. There are a lot of guys who need a lot of good reps and I think we got that done.”

The scrimmages were highlighted by the running back and quarterback play. Junior Octavious Hawkins led the way in the air, throwing for 156 yards on 8-of-15 passing with one touchdown and one interception. On the ground, senior John Griffin scampered in for two touchdowns and freshman Jamar Smith led the game with 59 rushing yards.

Three quarterbacks rotated under center, each taking a substantial number of snaps. Senior Kyle Havens went 8-of-14 for 98 yards, throwing three touchdowns and one interception. The senior connected with running back Jonathon Hernandez for a 25-yard score and again with wide receiver Tom Gilson from 19 yards out.

Wide receiver Woody Carter IV looked sharp in catching two balls for 80 yards. On one drive, the junior ran a hook route, finding space to gain 26 yards and a first down. Two plays later, he evaded defenders sprinting down the sideline for 54 yards and a touchdown.

Freshman quarterback Jesse Hunt delivered both passes to Carter IV. He threw nine times, completing six for 140 yards and a score.

First-year running back Jamar Smith played patiently for the Maroon team, following his blockers and finding the edge for a touchdown.

The senior Griffin will look to lead a deep running core this season.

“There’s definitely a lot of good competition at running back, but I think I can add a different edge,” Griffin said. “Everyone’s got something different to bring to the table. I think we have a really good running back core.”

Junior Jonathan Hernandez ran five times on the night, scoring one touchdown and gaining 35 yards. Jesse Julmiste ran once for 11 yards, also catching two passes for 83 yards and one score.

The evening’s action began with a bang, as a flea-flicker play from the White team led to a Maroon touchdown on the first snap of the game. Wide receiver Julian Talley completed a pass to Hawkins when All-American candidate Tyler Holmes laid a hard hit which forced a fumble and 68 yard return by Ke’Mon Bailey.

Dan Gigliotti can be reached at dgigliot@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “UMass plays spring game under lights at McGuirk”
  1. Umass Student says:

I do not think it is okay that photos are published on this web site without giving credit to those who took them. Your photographers work hard to take these photos and should receive their due credit when their pictures are published.

You must be logged in to post a comment.