UMass hockey loses ninth straight, falls to No. 9 BU 6-3 -

UMass hockey can’t heed coach John Micheletto’s warning in 6-3 loss against BU -

Jury convicts Patrick Durocher of rape, assault and battery -

UMass student dies Friday morning -

Puck Talk: UMass prepares for the Terriers -

Third and 20: the Super Bowl -

UMass women’s basketball set to take on Fordham at Mullins -

UMass investigating alleged misuse of campus resources within Physical Plant -

Closing arguments delivered as Patrick Durocher trial moves toward resolution -

UMass football announces 30 members to its 2016 recruiting class -

Dean’s Beans founder speaks at first MassPIRG meeting of semester -

UMass revises guest policy for Super Bowl weekend -

UMass graduates are ‘attractive to employers’ -

IT to host open forum, discuss new acceptable use and confidentiality policies -

Herrell’s hosts event to support Whole Children -

UMass police chief hiring procedure involves input from across campus -

UMass men’s and women’s track and field set to perform this weekend in preparation for the Atlantic 10 championships -

Heather MacLean shines in junior season for UMass track and field -

UMass hockey squares off with No. 9 Boston University Friday night -

UMass women’s basketball blows lead, loses in overtime -

UMass plays spring game under lights at McGuirk

The Massachusetts football team gave students and fans a preview of its fall talent, hosting its annual Spring Fling Friday night at McGuirk Stadium.

The event was split into two competitions: a combined intersquad scrimmage and an offense vs. defense session. The Maroon team won both portions 33-12 and 27-2, respectively.

“I thought it was a great night, a lot of great energy out there,” UMass coach Kevin Morris said. “I have been very pleased [with the game]. There are a lot of guys who need a lot of good reps and I think we got that done.”

The scrimmages were highlighted by the running back and quarterback play. Junior Octavious Hawkins led the way in the air, throwing for 156 yards on 8-of-15 passing with one touchdown and one interception. On the ground, senior John Griffin scampered in for two touchdowns and freshman Jamar Smith led the game with 59 rushing yards.

Three quarterbacks rotated under center, each taking a substantial number of snaps. Senior Kyle Havens went 8-of-14 for 98 yards, throwing three touchdowns and one interception. The senior connected with running back Jonathon Hernandez for a 25-yard score and again with wide receiver Tom Gilson from 19 yards out.

Wide receiver Woody Carter IV looked sharp in catching two balls for 80 yards. On one drive, the junior ran a hook route, finding space to gain 26 yards and a first down. Two plays later, he evaded defenders sprinting down the sideline for 54 yards and a touchdown.

Freshman quarterback Jesse Hunt delivered both passes to Carter IV. He threw nine times, completing six for 140 yards and a score.

First-year running back Jamar Smith played patiently for the Maroon team, following his blockers and finding the edge for a touchdown.

The senior Griffin will look to lead a deep running core this season.

“There’s definitely a lot of good competition at running back, but I think I can add a different edge,” Griffin said. “Everyone’s got something different to bring to the table. I think we have a really good running back core.”

Junior Jonathan Hernandez ran five times on the night, scoring one touchdown and gaining 35 yards. Jesse Julmiste ran once for 11 yards, also catching two passes for 83 yards and one score.

The evening’s action began with a bang, as a flea-flicker play from the White team led to a Maroon touchdown on the first snap of the game. Wide receiver Julian Talley completed a pass to Hawkins when All-American candidate Tyler Holmes laid a hard hit which forced a fumble and 68 yard return by Ke’Mon Bailey.

Dan Gigliotti can be reached at dgigliot@student.umass.edu.

One Response to “UMass plays spring game under lights at McGuirk”
  1. Umass Student says:

I do not think it is okay that photos are published on this web site without giving credit to those who took them. Your photographers work hard to take these photos and should receive their due credit when their pictures are published.