A bond over basketball: Trey Davis and Zach Coleman’s friendship continues to grow at UMass -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Inside the Park with Marky Mark: January 27, 2015 -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Panda Bear remains confident, even in the face of ‘The Grim Reaper’ -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Why I want to be a teacher -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams wrap up third-place finishes at Dartmouth Invitational -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

UMass’ College of Education to train Pakistani higher education administrators -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Hao Luong shines for UMass men’s swimming and diving on Senior Day, prepares for end of college career -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Police Log: Friday, Jan. 23, 2015 to Monday, Jan. 26, 2015 -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Rachel Hilliard, Heather MacLean highlight solid performance from UMass women’s track and field -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Hockey East: Eichel’s overtime goal pushes Boston University past Vermont -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Albums to look forward to in 2015 -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

UMass closes ahead of inclement weather -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Paranormal Research Society seeks to uncover the truth about the supernatural -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass tops Merrimack 4-1 to cap off successful weekend series -

Monday, January 26, 2015

‘Broad City’s’ second season off to a wickedly funny start -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Writers respond to State of the Union address -

Monday, January 26, 2015

St. Bonaventure earns tight victory, VCU clinches 11th straight win in Atlantic 10 men’s basketball action -

Monday, January 26, 2015

An open letter to the people who were kind when I was struggling -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass club hockey salvages weekend with tie against NYU on Saturday -

Monday, January 26, 2015

2015 Winter TCA’s announce bevy of show returns and new releases -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

‘Dad Vail’ up next for UM rowers

The Massachusetts rowing team will travel to Philadelphia this weekend for the Dad Vail regatta where at least 40 teams will be travelling from all over the country to compete.

The regatta will include teams from Sacramento State, San Diego, Duke, Buffalo and familiar conference foes Saint Josephs and Fordham.

UMass coach Jim Dietz said his whole team was pretty excited for this race. There have been a couple lineup changes, one of which includes the move to the Varsity 8 for senior Samantha Smith. Sophomore Amanda Doolin, who Dietz thinks “is a real boat mover,” will also be making her return to the team after missing last week’s regatta at Dartmouth.

Sophomore Emily Grogan and junior Kelsey Schachter will control the pair boat, a change from last week’s pair that was upended after having a successful Atlantic 10 Championship run.

Dietz thinks his Varsity 8 should be up near the top of the leader board in the Varsity 8 with some of the more successful teams like Buffalo. He also feels good about the Lightweight 8.

Training switched from their base workouts, which consisted of lower stroke ratings. Recently the team has been concentrating more on speed work.

The team will be well-rested for the regatta that will begin Friday and last through Saturday. He expects his crew to be going down the river at a pace of about 34-35 strokes per minute.

Dietz said this is a great regatta because it includes so many teams from across the country. The Dad Vail regatta is the largest collegiate regatta in the United States.

UMass will look to improve upon last weekend’s touch showing against Dartmouth, Buffalo and Cornell where both the first and second Varsity 8 boats took fourth place in their respective races.

The Minutewomen will look to challenge Buffalo just as they did last week.

A-10 First Team member senior Megan Donovan earned A-10 Student Athlete of the Year and UMass Scholar Athlete of the year. The Orange, MA native earned a 3.966 grade point average in Kinesiology.

Next week, UMass will travel to Mercer, N.J., for the U.S. Rowing Collegiate championships.

Eric Mansfield can be reached at eamansfi@student.umass.edu.