Michael Kimmel speaks to UMass students about ‘Guyland’ -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass football looks for third straight win against Toledo on Saturday -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘Love is Strange’ is beautiful, painful and groundbreaking -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

White supremacy and settler colonialism at UMass -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass hockey hopes first win will propel them past Hockey East rivals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass’ second line playing and succeeding with young talent early in the season. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

‘The Good Wife’ returns as strong as ever -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Professor receives grant to cover massive election survey panel -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Unions rally over recent concession proposals -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

NFL Pick’em games return to the Massachusetts Daily Collegian -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass celebrates Campus Sustainability Day -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

“Fury” falls just short of greatness -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Minutewomen look to continue their season in weekend game against Saint Bonaventure. -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

New meal plans receive mixed reviews from students -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

ISIS’s magazine is good for the West -

Thursday, October 23, 2014

UMass women’s soccer controls its own destiny as conference tournament approaches -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass soccer deploys new formation with Keys, Jess -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

UMass calling on young swimmers to continue strong start to the year -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WMU, Ohio, NIU pick up wins in busy MAC weekend -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A comprehensive guide to the Ebola virus -

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Hernandez, Griffin run away with UMass victory

Having a more balanced offense and pounding the rock on the ground was one of Kevin Morris’ keys to this season for the Massachusetts football team.

In the opening game at McGuirk Stadium on Saturday afternoon against William & Mary, the Minutemen (1-0) did just that with their dynamic combination of tailbacks in Jonathan Hernandez and John Griffin.

En route to defeating the No. 4-ranked Tribe, 27-23, the duo combined for 216 yards on the ground and three of UMass’ four touchdowns for the day. Hernandez led the way with 132 yards on 25 carries while Griffin, a noteworthy transfer from Northeastern in the offseason, amassed 84 yards on 21 chances.

“It’s great to have Jonathan Hernandez here for relief for me and also myself for relief for Jonathan,” Griffin said after the game. “If one of us has a bad game, it’s kind of a one-two punch so we never miss a beat, regardless of who’s in the game, who’s starting and who’s coming in. I feel like with me and Hernandez in the backfield, it’s a really potent threat here and it’s a one-two punch, you’re not losing a step regardless of who’s in the backfield.”

“I don’t think it could have been better script-wise and how you use both those guys,” Morris said. “Just looking at the stats, one guy carried it 25, one guys carried it 21. Instead of one guy carrying it 46, we’re able to split that up and be very efficient at the end of the game with fresh legs. They’re both premier backs in the league at the same time, it’s not like they’re two average Joe’s. These are high-level John’s.”

Hernandez set up the five-yard go-ahead touchdown for Griffin with a 64-yard catch and run late in the fourth quarter. After failing to convert the two-point conversion, junior All-American Tyler Holmes sealed the victory on defense. The linebacker picked off Tribe quarterback Mike Callahan on a deflected pass to tailback Jonathan Grimes.

After getting the possession back, the Minutemen still had to run out the clock. On a critical fourth down, UMass relied on its strength as Hernandez ran for seven yards, leaving William & Mary (0-1) with no timeouts to extend the game.

In the air, quarterback Kyle Havens found a favorite target in newcomer Anthony Nelson. Nelson, another senior transfer who figures to be a weapon this year, caught five of Havens’ 15 completions and racked up 78 yards, including 36 on a touchdown reception for UMass’ first score this season.

“I’m comfortable with Anthony,” Havens said. “He’s my roommate and I actually live with the kid. You can ask coach Morris, he makes us leave the field after practice because [Nelson] will want to throw extra routes to get timing down. He’s a real workhorse, he’ll do anything to get things right and I’m right there to do it with him.”

William & Mary took a 16-14 lead into halftime on the strength of a Jimmy Hobson five-yard touchdown reception and 28-yard scramble for a score by Callahan. After throwing for 130 yards in the first half, Callahan was held to 92 yards in the second half as the UMass defense clamped down.

The Tribe, however, had a 23-14 lead early in the fourth quarter after Callahan connected with wide receiver Cameron Dohse on a 34-yard touchdown pass.

Though turnovers were even at one apiece for the game, the Minutemen were fortunate to only lose one of the five fumbles they put on the ground.

UMass returns to McGuirk next Saturday when the Minutemen take on in-state rival Holy Cross at 6 pm.

Jay Asser can be reached at jasser@student.umass.edu.