UMass falls short at home to UNH 1-0 -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tennis shines in West Point Invitational -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

SGA to launch new binge drinking awareness campaign -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

UMass rugby captain Devin Ibanez: ‘I’m just a rugby maniac’ -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

SGA discusses University’s confidential informant policy -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Akron upsets ACC foe, Toledo outruns Central Michigan -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Electro-pop duo Cherub takes its sweet sound to Pearl Street -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Fight for college affordability continues -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

U.S. News ranks UMass among top 30 public universities -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Battling arguments -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tim McGraw comes back strong in ‘Sundown Heaven Town’ -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

No arrests made at UMass Homecoming tailgate and game -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Alt-J diversifies and grows in ‘This Is All Yours.’ -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

FSU holds off the Wolfpack while Hill leads the Aggies to an overtime victory -

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

UPDATE: UMass Police Department and Student Affairs officials to conduct review of confidential informant policy -

Monday, September 29, 2014

UMass men’s soccer shut out by UNH, 1-0, on Sunday -

Monday, September 29, 2014

The best ways to decorate your dorm room -

Monday, September 29, 2014

UMass needs to actively combat sexual assault -

Monday, September 29, 2014

Northwestern District Attorney’s office hosts National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day -

Monday, September 29, 2014

Students celebrate return of UMass football with tailgate festivities -

Monday, September 29, 2014

Top-ranked Delaware trounce Minutemen

Samantha Webber/Collegian

In its final home game of the season, the Massachusetts football team suffered a 45-27 loss to second-ranked Delaware after battling uphill all afternoon on Saturday at McGuirk Stadium.

The matchup featured two of the top offenses in the Colonial Athletic Association and saw 935 total yards of offense between the teams. It was the high-powered attack of the Blue Hens (9-1, 6-1 CAA), however, which had the most success and made the biggest plays.

Led by quarterback Pat Devlin, who threw for 240 yards and four touchdowns, Delaware had three of the first four scores in the contest and took a 24-14 lead into halftime.

The Minutemen (6-4, 4-3 CAA) received 228 passing yards and four touchdowns from quarterback Kyle Havens, but couldn’t capitalize on various drives and left points on the table.

Kicker Caleb Violette struggled in the loss, missing three field goals on the first four UMass possessions. The last two attempts missed with the ball in the red zone, from 23 and 25 yards out, respectively.

“We missed opportunities offensively three times down and came up with zero points with those field goals,” UMass coach Kevin Morris said. “So, we had to fight back through that the rest of the night.”

John Griffin had the best game of his UMass career with a season-high 145 yards on 12 carries, including a 59-yard scamper. Though the running game performed well for the Minutemen, they were forced to throw for the majority of the second half because of the deficit they faced.

“Offensively, all we can do is score,” Havens said. “We trust the defense, it was just the way it [went] tonight. We didn’t do what we needed to do to win.”

On defense, the UMass secondary had trouble slowing down Devlin and his receivers, as the Blue Hens picked up chunks of yards.

After Delaware recovered a fumble midway through the second quarter, Devlin connected with tailback Andrew Pierce on a 31-yard touchdown to go up 17-7 at the six minute, 16 second mark.

Then, following halftime, the Blue Hens extended their lead to 31-14 as Devlin found tight end Colin Naugle on a 31-yard pass to tie his career-high with four touchdown passes.

Despite the offensive outburst by Delaware, the Minutemen defense wasn’t caught off guard.

“They did everything the scout team showed,” UMass linebacker Tyler Holmes said. “I think it was more so us just making mental mistakes and making it easier on them today.”

A significant play in the contest came early in the third quarter with the Minutemen looking to slow down the Blue Hens’ offense. On a 3rd-and-long, defensive back Mike Lee was flagged for pass interference as the ball arrived to the receiver at the same time Lee did. On the ensuing play, tailback David Hayes found a seam and carried the ball 61 yards for a score to put Delaware up, 38-21.

Though the pass interference call was seen by some as questionable, UMass coach Kevin Morris didn’t use it as an excuse.

“It was more than just that call,” Morris said. “I mean there were plays throughout the course of the game, had we done this, had we done that, had they not thrown a flag, had they thrown a flag.”

Heading into the week, the Minutemen knew they would be facing a tough opponent, but weren’t intimidated following the contest.

UMass, meanwhile, is now one of four teams in the conference with a 6-4 overall record and one of five teams with three losses after New Hampshire’s 31-24 win at Villanova.

To wrap up the regular season, the Minutemen will travel to Rhode Island next Saturday with a 12:30 p.m. kickoff.

Jay Asser can be reached at jasser@student.umass.edu.