Campus Climate survey shows strong response -

Jennifer Carlson gives talk on race and gun law enforcement -

Labor Center to receive increased funding from University -

Verdi enforces playing a full 40 minutes as UMass takes on Hofstra -

Mulligan looks to continue seven game double-double streak at Hofstra -

Jesus: the conservative Republican -

The joy of Snapchat -

Don’t let hate defeat debate -

‘A Charlie Brown Christmas’ remains the defining holiday classic -

A Tribe Called Quest bid its fans a thoughtful farewell -

Amherst residents rally against Dakota pipeline in water ceremony outside TD Bank -

Laura Reed discusses nuclear disarmament under Obama Administration -

SGA President announces opening of vice president position -

Four UMass divers qualify for NCAA Tournament at Bucknell Invitational this weekend -

Top 25 Basketball Notebook: UCLA pulls off major upset over Kentucky -

College football playoff seeds came out Sunday; Alabama gets top seed -

UMass club hockey comes out of travel weekend 1-1-1 -

Notebook: UMass men’s basketball guard Luwane Pipkins among nation’s best in steals -

Listen when you argue to truly understand -

Letter to the Editor: local veterans on Hampshire flag burning -

Temple tops La Salle in conference play

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Despite some drama late in the contest, the Temple women’s basketball team managed to hold on to defeat La Salle, 72-63, on Saturday afternoon. Junior forward Kristen McCarthy was the big scorer for the Owls, leading all players with 22 points, including a perfect 7-for-7 mark from the free throw line.

After an even first half that ended with the score tied at 41, Temple raced ahead to a 10-point lead with four minutes to go. However, the seemingly-comfortable margin was not enough as the Explorers cut the lead to four with one minutes, 39 seconds remaining. Junior guard Shey Peddy, who contributed 16 points and nine rebounds to the Owls’ winning effort, knocked down two big free throws to halt the Explorers’ momentum. After La Salle failed to score on the other end, senior guard Qwedia Wallace put the game out of reach with a 3-pointer.

Guard Ashley Gale was the leading scorer for the Explorers with 22 points, including three 3-point baskets.

XU continues run

Xavier continues to run roughshod over A-10 competition this season. On a brisk Saturday afternoon in Cincinnati, Ohio, the Musketeers dominated Fordham, 77-55.

With the win, Xavier’s conference record rises to 10-0, while its overall record goes to 21-2. The Rams, on the other hand, fall to 2-8 in the conference and 10-16 overall.

Redshirt senior Amber Harris was the main catalyst for the Musketeers throughout the game. Her 18 points and eight rebounds led the team in both departments and she was a terror on the defensive end, compiling four blocks and two steals.

Senior center Ta’Shia Phillips also was a major contributor, tossing in 13 points, grabbing 10 rebounds and rejecting three shots. Junior guard Tyeasha Moss and freshman guard Lynette Holmes were also in double figures for Xavier, adding 13 and 11 points, respectively.

For Fordham, guard Arielle Collins was valiant in a losing effort. She led all scorers with 20 points, including four 3-pointers and also racked five steals.

Surprising star leads SBU

Behind junior guard Jessica Jenkins’ career-high 31 points and eight rebounds, St. Bonaventure was able to knock off favored Duquesne, 70-63.

Jenkins poured in eight 3-pointers and went 7-for-8 from the free throw stripe on her way to a career night.

The game really swung on a single sequence in the second half. With 11:37 remaining in the contest, sophomore Alaina Walker drove down the lane for a layup and the foul. While the ensuing free throw was no good, junior forward Jennie Ashton snagged the offensive rebound to keep the possession alive. Freshman Doris Ortega finished off the series with a layup and a foul shot of her own for a five-point swing. The Bonnies took the lead, 42-40, after Ortega’s bucket and never trailed again from that point on.

Alex Gensler and Wumi Agunbiade put in 17 and 16 points apiece to pace the Dukes.

Ben Lambert can be reached at wlambert@student.umass.edu.