Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

Judy Dixon enters final season with UMass tennis with simple message: One match at a time -

UMass baseball enduring early-season limitation in playing in New England -

Minutewomen softball begins season with cross-country travel, string of tournaments -

UMass baseball looks to bounce back from disappointing 2016 season -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior Hannah Murphy is Angela McMahon’s latest legend in the making -

UMass women’s lacrosse senior defenders accept leadership roles in quest for ninth consecutive Atlantic 10 Championship -

Kelsey McGovern rejoins UMass women’s lacrosse as an assistant coach after starring for Minutewomen -

UMass men’s lacrosse looks to continue improving throughout 2017 season -

Spring Sports Special Issue 2017 -

UMass men’s lacrosse defense relying on senior leadership with new faces in starting lineup -

UMass softball fills holes left by seniors with freshmen for 2017 -

The Hart of the Lineup -

Temple tops La Salle in conference play

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Despite some drama late in the contest, the Temple women’s basketball team managed to hold on to defeat La Salle, 72-63, on Saturday afternoon. Junior forward Kristen McCarthy was the big scorer for the Owls, leading all players with 22 points, including a perfect 7-for-7 mark from the free throw line.

After an even first half that ended with the score tied at 41, Temple raced ahead to a 10-point lead with four minutes to go. However, the seemingly-comfortable margin was not enough as the Explorers cut the lead to four with one minutes, 39 seconds remaining. Junior guard Shey Peddy, who contributed 16 points and nine rebounds to the Owls’ winning effort, knocked down two big free throws to halt the Explorers’ momentum. After La Salle failed to score on the other end, senior guard Qwedia Wallace put the game out of reach with a 3-pointer.

Guard Ashley Gale was the leading scorer for the Explorers with 22 points, including three 3-point baskets.

XU continues run

Xavier continues to run roughshod over A-10 competition this season. On a brisk Saturday afternoon in Cincinnati, Ohio, the Musketeers dominated Fordham, 77-55.

With the win, Xavier’s conference record rises to 10-0, while its overall record goes to 21-2. The Rams, on the other hand, fall to 2-8 in the conference and 10-16 overall.

Redshirt senior Amber Harris was the main catalyst for the Musketeers throughout the game. Her 18 points and eight rebounds led the team in both departments and she was a terror on the defensive end, compiling four blocks and two steals.

Senior center Ta’Shia Phillips also was a major contributor, tossing in 13 points, grabbing 10 rebounds and rejecting three shots. Junior guard Tyeasha Moss and freshman guard Lynette Holmes were also in double figures for Xavier, adding 13 and 11 points, respectively.

For Fordham, guard Arielle Collins was valiant in a losing effort. She led all scorers with 20 points, including four 3-pointers and also racked five steals.

Surprising star leads SBU

Behind junior guard Jessica Jenkins’ career-high 31 points and eight rebounds, St. Bonaventure was able to knock off favored Duquesne, 70-63.

Jenkins poured in eight 3-pointers and went 7-for-8 from the free throw stripe on her way to a career night.

The game really swung on a single sequence in the second half. With 11:37 remaining in the contest, sophomore Alaina Walker drove down the lane for a layup and the foul. While the ensuing free throw was no good, junior forward Jennie Ashton snagged the offensive rebound to keep the possession alive. Freshman Doris Ortega finished off the series with a layup and a foul shot of her own for a five-point swing. The Bonnies took the lead, 42-40, after Ortega’s bucket and never trailed again from that point on.

Alex Gensler and Wumi Agunbiade put in 17 and 16 points apiece to pace the Dukes.

Ben Lambert can be reached at wlambert@student.umass.edu.