UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Temple tops La Salle in conference play

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Despite some drama late in the contest, the Temple women’s basketball team managed to hold on to defeat La Salle, 72-63, on Saturday afternoon. Junior forward Kristen McCarthy was the big scorer for the Owls, leading all players with 22 points, including a perfect 7-for-7 mark from the free throw line.

After an even first half that ended with the score tied at 41, Temple raced ahead to a 10-point lead with four minutes to go. However, the seemingly-comfortable margin was not enough as the Explorers cut the lead to four with one minutes, 39 seconds remaining. Junior guard Shey Peddy, who contributed 16 points and nine rebounds to the Owls’ winning effort, knocked down two big free throws to halt the Explorers’ momentum. After La Salle failed to score on the other end, senior guard Qwedia Wallace put the game out of reach with a 3-pointer.

Guard Ashley Gale was the leading scorer for the Explorers with 22 points, including three 3-point baskets.

XU continues run

Xavier continues to run roughshod over A-10 competition this season. On a brisk Saturday afternoon in Cincinnati, Ohio, the Musketeers dominated Fordham, 77-55.

With the win, Xavier’s conference record rises to 10-0, while its overall record goes to 21-2. The Rams, on the other hand, fall to 2-8 in the conference and 10-16 overall.

Redshirt senior Amber Harris was the main catalyst for the Musketeers throughout the game. Her 18 points and eight rebounds led the team in both departments and she was a terror on the defensive end, compiling four blocks and two steals.

Senior center Ta’Shia Phillips also was a major contributor, tossing in 13 points, grabbing 10 rebounds and rejecting three shots. Junior guard Tyeasha Moss and freshman guard Lynette Holmes were also in double figures for Xavier, adding 13 and 11 points, respectively.

For Fordham, guard Arielle Collins was valiant in a losing effort. She led all scorers with 20 points, including four 3-pointers and also racked five steals.

Surprising star leads SBU

Behind junior guard Jessica Jenkins’ career-high 31 points and eight rebounds, St. Bonaventure was able to knock off favored Duquesne, 70-63.

Jenkins poured in eight 3-pointers and went 7-for-8 from the free throw stripe on her way to a career night.

The game really swung on a single sequence in the second half. With 11:37 remaining in the contest, sophomore Alaina Walker drove down the lane for a layup and the foul. While the ensuing free throw was no good, junior forward Jennie Ashton snagged the offensive rebound to keep the possession alive. Freshman Doris Ortega finished off the series with a layup and a foul shot of her own for a five-point swing. The Bonnies took the lead, 42-40, after Ortega’s bucket and never trailed again from that point on.

Alex Gensler and Wumi Agunbiade put in 17 and 16 points apiece to pace the Dukes.

Ben Lambert can be reached at wlambert@student.umass.edu.