UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Minutemen will search for 1st win after early slump

The Massachusetts baseball team began its season last Friday with four losses over three days, including two to Michigan and two to Sam Houston State at the Bearkat Invitational in Huntsville, Texas.

The Minutemen started off with the Wolverines (2-9), who began their season going winless in the Big East/Big Ten Challenge, playing against the likes of then-No. 21 Louisville, then-No. 22 Connecticut and St. John’s.

The scoring started in the second inning with RBI singles by Zach Johnson and Kevin Krantz and continued the following inning as the Wolverines tacked on two more runs, making it 4-0. Michigan would tack on its final run in the bottom of the seventh.

In his first at bat of the season, senior captain Eric Fredette gave the Minutemen (0-4) scoring hopes with a two-out double. The Minutemen squandered the opportunity and then went the next five innings without a hit. Finally in the seventh, UMass threatened with two singles by senior Peter Copa and freshman Dylan Begin, but Michigan kept it from scoring.

The eighth inning saw another threat from the Minutemen, this time resulting in a pair of runs. Freshman Josh Messier started things off with an infield single and sophomore Rich Graef reached on an error. Messier would score on a single by sophomore Anthony Serino while Graef would reach home on an RBI groundout by Copa.

That would be all, however, as Michigan’s Jake Engels ended the threat by getting Begin to fly out to end the inning. Engels would also pitch a scoreless ninth.

In their second game against the Wolverines, the Minutemen took an early lead but couldn’t hold on, resulting in an 11-6 loss.

Highlighting the increased offensive output was Copa, who finished with two hits and an RBI. Serino and Fredette also scored two each for UMass.

Taking the loss for the Minutemen was junior Leif Sorenson, who allowed six runs, four earned, on eight hits, two walks and two strikeouts. Sorenson also hit five batters.

UMass coach Mike Stone said that Michigan was a beatable team but the Minutemen just didn’t play well enough, adding that while moving forward, shaking the rust off and getting comfortable will prove important during the early stages of the season.

The first contest against Sam Houston State was a 9-1 loss which extended the Bearkats’ winning streak to seven games.

Copa tallied the only run for the Minutemen with a solo home run in the seventh inning.

Junior Glen Misho took the loss for UMass, going five innings, giving up six runs, four earned, on seven hits with three walks and one strikeout. Sophomore Dennis Torres pitched four innings of relief in his collegiate debut, allowing one earned run on four hits with four strikeouts and a walk.

In the last game of the weekend, much like the first, the Minutemen rallied late but ultimately came up short, losing 6-2.

Seniors Matt Gedman and Kyle Multner each finished with two hits for UMass.

“Sam Houston is an excellent ballclub,” said Stone, adding that the Bearkats were particularly tough on the base paths.

The team will look to bounce back this weekend when it heads to Winter Haven, Fla. for a two-week road trip that will include eight games, starting with Toledo (4-7) on Saturday and Bradley (6-4) on Sunday.

Toledo, who will have already been in Winter Haven for four games, has started off the week with a win over Yale and a loss to Xavier. Bradley, which, like UMass, will not have played since last Sunday, is coming off of two wins over Morehead State and Indiana.

Stone said that every aspect of UMass’ game needs to improve, notably its pitching and short game (bunting, base running). The pitching will improve with the players’ continued focus on strengthening their arms through long toss and having better command of the strike zone.

Eric Mansfield can be reached at eamansfi@student.umass.edu.