Panda Bear remains confident, even in the face of ‘The Grim Reaper’ -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Why I want to be a teacher -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams wrap up third-place finishes at Dartmouth Invitational -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

UMass’ College of Education to train Pakistani higher education administrators -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Hao Luong shines for UMass men’s swimming and diving on Senior Day, prepares for end of college career -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Police Log: Friday, Jan. 23, 2015 to Monday, Jan. 26, 2015 -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Rachel Hilliard, Heather MacLean highlight solid performance from UMass women’s track and field -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Hockey East: Eichel’s overtime goal pushes Boston University past Vermont -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Albums to look forward to in 2015 -

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

UMass closes ahead of inclement weather -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Paranormal Research Society seeks to uncover the truth about the supernatural -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass tops Merrimack 4-1 to cap off successful weekend series -

Monday, January 26, 2015

‘Broad City’s’ second season off to a wickedly funny start -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Writers respond to State of the Union address -

Monday, January 26, 2015

St. Bonaventure earns tight victory, VCU clinches 11th straight win in Atlantic 10 men’s basketball action -

Monday, January 26, 2015

An open letter to the people who were kind when I was struggling -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass club hockey salvages weekend with tie against NYU on Saturday -

Monday, January 26, 2015

2015 Winter TCA’s announce bevy of show returns and new releases -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Brilliant online film archives for cinema lovers -

Monday, January 26, 2015

UMass men’s and women’s track and field teams see mixed results in Joe Donahue Indoor Games -

Monday, January 26, 2015

Click here to visit UMass Dining
Click here to visit UMass Dining

Minutemen will search for 1st win after early slump

The Massachusetts baseball team began its season last Friday with four losses over three days, including two to Michigan and two to Sam Houston State at the Bearkat Invitational in Huntsville, Texas.

The Minutemen started off with the Wolverines (2-9), who began their season going winless in the Big East/Big Ten Challenge, playing against the likes of then-No. 21 Louisville, then-No. 22 Connecticut and St. John’s.

The scoring started in the second inning with RBI singles by Zach Johnson and Kevin Krantz and continued the following inning as the Wolverines tacked on two more runs, making it 4-0. Michigan would tack on its final run in the bottom of the seventh.

In his first at bat of the season, senior captain Eric Fredette gave the Minutemen (0-4) scoring hopes with a two-out double. The Minutemen squandered the opportunity and then went the next five innings without a hit. Finally in the seventh, UMass threatened with two singles by senior Peter Copa and freshman Dylan Begin, but Michigan kept it from scoring.

The eighth inning saw another threat from the Minutemen, this time resulting in a pair of runs. Freshman Josh Messier started things off with an infield single and sophomore Rich Graef reached on an error. Messier would score on a single by sophomore Anthony Serino while Graef would reach home on an RBI groundout by Copa.

That would be all, however, as Michigan’s Jake Engels ended the threat by getting Begin to fly out to end the inning. Engels would also pitch a scoreless ninth.

In their second game against the Wolverines, the Minutemen took an early lead but couldn’t hold on, resulting in an 11-6 loss.

Highlighting the increased offensive output was Copa, who finished with two hits and an RBI. Serino and Fredette also scored two each for UMass.

Taking the loss for the Minutemen was junior Leif Sorenson, who allowed six runs, four earned, on eight hits, two walks and two strikeouts. Sorenson also hit five batters.

UMass coach Mike Stone said that Michigan was a beatable team but the Minutemen just didn’t play well enough, adding that while moving forward, shaking the rust off and getting comfortable will prove important during the early stages of the season.

The first contest against Sam Houston State was a 9-1 loss which extended the Bearkats’ winning streak to seven games.

Copa tallied the only run for the Minutemen with a solo home run in the seventh inning.

Junior Glen Misho took the loss for UMass, going five innings, giving up six runs, four earned, on seven hits with three walks and one strikeout. Sophomore Dennis Torres pitched four innings of relief in his collegiate debut, allowing one earned run on four hits with four strikeouts and a walk.

In the last game of the weekend, much like the first, the Minutemen rallied late but ultimately came up short, losing 6-2.

Seniors Matt Gedman and Kyle Multner each finished with two hits for UMass.

“Sam Houston is an excellent ballclub,” said Stone, adding that the Bearkats were particularly tough on the base paths.

The team will look to bounce back this weekend when it heads to Winter Haven, Fla. for a two-week road trip that will include eight games, starting with Toledo (4-7) on Saturday and Bradley (6-4) on Sunday.

Toledo, who will have already been in Winter Haven for four games, has started off the week with a win over Yale and a loss to Xavier. Bradley, which, like UMass, will not have played since last Sunday, is coming off of two wins over Morehead State and Indiana.

Stone said that every aspect of UMass’ game needs to improve, notably its pitching and short game (bunting, base running). The pitching will improve with the players’ continued focus on strengthening their arms through long toss and having better command of the strike zone.

Eric Mansfield can be reached at eamansfi@student.umass.edu.