Halloween Special Issue -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UM alumni hopeful for their up-and-coming snowboard company -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hockey looks to end road trip on a high note with weekend series against Maine -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

#WrongDoor: Why I am not surprised? -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

B-horror films: hits and misses of the nightmare genre -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Appreciating campus workers -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass hosts Ebola panel to address concerns of the public -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Democrats hope to get more students connected -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The broke college student horror comic buyers guide -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass Republican Club: Not just for Republicans -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Five reasons why Halloween is the best holiday -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

To live and die and live again -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

The anatomy of a horror game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Berger has first shot at securing starting role with UMass basketball -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Robert Johnson’s deal with the devil -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Humans vs. Zombies: UMass’ most dangerous game -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Group Halloween costumes inspired by the roles of Hollywood icons -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

A haunting at UMass -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

At the end of your rope? Write about it. -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

UMass men’s soccer heads down to Carolina for a weekend pair of games -

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Minutemen finish second despite changes to course

The Massachusetts men’s and women’s cross-country teams may not have felt particularly at home as they prepared to compete in the Minuteman Invitational on Saturday, as flooding from Tropical Storm Irene rendered their normal course unusable.

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Maria Uminski/Collegian

Even with the shortened 4.3 mile run and an alternative course to run, both teams proved that they could overcome the challenge.

The Minutemen managed to come away with 48 points, which put them in second place in their six-team field, while the Minutewomen earned 99 points and came in fourth place out of the five teams competing.

Sean Duncan, a Gardner, Mass. native, was the top competitor for the Minutemen, racing ahead of the pack to come in third-place overall. He managed to make his way across the finish line in 22-minutes, 16.91 seconds, less than a minute slower than the winner. Duncan, a graduate student at UMass, returned to the course for the first time since the 2009 Atlantic 10 Championship, after he did not compete last year as a senior.

The next three Minutemen crossed the finish line in succession, earning ninth through 11th place, respectively. Redshirt senior Patrick McAllister was the first of the three to cross in 22-minutes, 49.20 seconds, while sophomore Antony Taylor locked in 10th place just under a second later, in 22-minutes, 54.79 seconds. Patrick McGowan finished off the scoring, as he came at 22-minutes, 55.68 seconds.

John O’Shea rounded out the top-five for the Minutemen, finishing slightly further behind, in 15th place overall. He clocked in at 23-minutes, 10.93 seconds.

O’Shea and Taylor have started their UMass careers off with a bang. After the Amherst Invitational, they’ve both finished in the top-five for the Minutemen in each of their two collegiate events. Taylor led the squad at last week’s Bryant Invitational, while O’Shea came in third place.

“I was hoping the younger guys wouldn’t take a step back, you know, with the front-runners returning to the scene, and rather take a step forward, and that’s exactly what they did,” said UMass coach Ken O’Brien, in an interview with UMassAthletics.com.

Karen Roa, on the other hand, is a tested veteran for the Minutewomen. She led the way for the Minutewomen for a second-straight week, finishing fourth overall, in 17-minutes, 36.01 seconds.

Rachel Hilliard and Danielle McNiff were the next two to make it across for the Minutewomen, earning 25th and 26th place respectively. Hilliard locked in her second-straight top five finish in 19-minutes, 5.34 seconds, while McNiff came in directly behind her, nipping at her heels in 19-minutes, 7.16 seconds.

Sarah Barrett and Colleen Wetherbee rounded out the top-five for the Maroon and White. Barrett came in 30th place overall, in 19-minute, 17.53 seconds, while Wetherbee earned 39th, in 19-minutes, 41.26 seconds.

After a week of no competition, both teams will travel to Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Penn. to take part in the Paul Short Invitational on Sept. 30. Last year, the men’s team came in 30th out of 42 teams at this event, while the women’s squad came in 31st out of 41.

Ben Lambert can be reached at wlambert@student.umass.edu.