UMass receives anonymous $10.3 million gift -

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

UMass Football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass football announces its 2012 non-conference schedule

The Massachusetts football team announced its 2012 non-conference schedule on Thursday, and it will play games against Connecticut, Indiana, Michigan and Vanderbilt in its first season as a Football Bowl Series team.

The five out-of-conference opponents are in addition to the full Mid-American Conference schedule that the Maroon and White will play as a member of the conference.

The Minutemen will open their season away at Connecticut on Aug. 30, followed by the first UMass home game in Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Mass. against the Hoosiers on Sept. 8.

A week later, UMass will return to the Big House in Ann Arbor, Mich. to play the Wolverines, where they nearly managed a major upset in 2010, losing, 42-37.

Rounding out the non-conference opponents, the Minutemen will take on the Commodores on Oct. 27, which is part of a four-game series that will alternate each year between Foxboro and Nashville through the 2015 season.

Last year, UMass took on the biggest FBS opponent with the largest crowd in its history, traveling to Ann Arbor to face the Wolverines. Approximately 110,396 fans packed into the Big House for the first night game in the stadium’s history. UMass quarterback Kyle Havens threw for 222 yards and two touchdowns and tailback Jonathan Hernandez rushed for 114 yards and two touchdowns on 26 carries, but penalties and turnovers prevented any hopes of an upset.

This year, Boston College was the FBS opponent on tap for the Minutemen, but things didn’t pan out as well as last year. Quarterback Kellen Pagel threw an interception on the first play from scrimmage, and UMass trailed through the entire game, eventually falling, 45-17. Hernandez rushed for 80 yards and one touchdown in the losing effort.

UMass announced its move to the FBS and Gillette Stadium in the spring, and after a full season in the MAC, the team will be eligible to play in bowl games and the MAC championship. Until then, the team is ineligible for postseason play.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.