UMass students show lackluster attitude toward ‘Mullins Live!’ concert -

UMass women’s basketball loses in first round of Atlantic 10 Tournament -

Ryan Adams perfects his melancholy, widescreen take on 80s heartland rock on ‘Prisoner’ -

Exposing the horrific crime of modern-day slavery -

UMass men’s basketball successfully drops La Salle 84-71 in confidence-building win -

UMass men’s lacrosse’s late rally falls short against Harvard -

UMass women’s lacrosse struggles to find offense in loss to No. 5 Syracuse -

With Perez, Democrats remain in limbo -

UMass hockey competes hard, falls to No. 10 Providence College in overtime -

Overtime goal hands UMass hockey its 15th straight loss in regular season finale -

Former NAACP President Benjamin Jealous gives talk at UMass -

Anti-racism workshop teaches tactics to fight oppression in community -

Providence power play haunts UMass hockey in 6-2 loss -

UMass hockey falls to No. 10 Providence on Senior Night at the Mullins center -

UMass men’s basketball falters in the second half, falling to George Washington 83-67 Thursday -

UPDATE: SGA announces second and third artist for ‘Mullins Live!’ -

Divest UMass and STPEC host panel on building ‘solidarity economies’ in the Trump era -

UMass women’s basketball losing streak extends to 10 games after loss to URI -

Sixth annual Advocacy Day set to take place March 1 -

Panel discusses racial, sexual and psychological violence in response to art exhibit -

UMass football announces its 2012 non-conference schedule

The Massachusetts football team announced its 2012 non-conference schedule on Thursday, and it will play games against Connecticut, Indiana, Michigan and Vanderbilt in its first season as a Football Bowl Series team.

The five out-of-conference opponents are in addition to the full Mid-American Conference schedule that the Maroon and White will play as a member of the conference.

The Minutemen will open their season away at Connecticut on Aug. 30, followed by the first UMass home game in Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Mass. against the Hoosiers on Sept. 8.

A week later, UMass will return to the Big House in Ann Arbor, Mich. to play the Wolverines, where they nearly managed a major upset in 2010, losing, 42-37.

Rounding out the non-conference opponents, the Minutemen will take on the Commodores on Oct. 27, which is part of a four-game series that will alternate each year between Foxboro and Nashville through the 2015 season.

Last year, UMass took on the biggest FBS opponent with the largest crowd in its history, traveling to Ann Arbor to face the Wolverines. Approximately 110,396 fans packed into the Big House for the first night game in the stadium’s history. UMass quarterback Kyle Havens threw for 222 yards and two touchdowns and tailback Jonathan Hernandez rushed for 114 yards and two touchdowns on 26 carries, but penalties and turnovers prevented any hopes of an upset.

This year, Boston College was the FBS opponent on tap for the Minutemen, but things didn’t pan out as well as last year. Quarterback Kellen Pagel threw an interception on the first play from scrimmage, and UMass trailed through the entire game, eventually falling, 45-17. Hernandez rushed for 80 yards and one touchdown in the losing effort.

UMass announced its move to the FBS and Gillette Stadium in the spring, and after a full season in the MAC, the team will be eligible to play in bowl games and the MAC championship. Until then, the team is ineligible for postseason play.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.