UMass football boasts young, balanced rushing attack going into 2016 season -

UMass football looks to add more size, depth on defensive side heading into 2016 -

UMass football gets back in action with start of training camp -

UMass football coach Mark Whipple announces Ross Comis as starting quarterback, transfer Andrew Ford close behind -

Amherst PD to encourage registering off-campus parties with implementation of Party Smart Registration program -

UMass Board of Trustees votes 11-2 to raise tuition and fees an average of 5.8 percent -

Mike Stone announces retirement following 2017 season -

‘Warcraft’ delivers a likeable mess -

Former UMass field hockey coach Carla Tagliente accepts job at Princeton -

50 Activists attend meeting as UMass Board of Trustees approves motion of divestment from fossil fuel companies -

Four former Minutemen depart from UMass hockey program -

Boston Calling 2016 delivers rousing farewell to City Hall Plaza -

Sufjan Stevens unearths quirk at Boston Calling -

The Collegian live tweets Boston Calling -

UMass baseball finishes season with sweep over George Mason -

UMass women’s lacrosse falls in NCAA quarterfinal -

‘Green Room’ is a bloody blast of survival horror -

DaLuz: Boston Celtics stuck trudging in the mud -

Despite tallying double-digit hits, UMass baseball falls to Fairfield Tuesday afternoon -

Radiohead returns to the top with gorgeous, illuminating ‘A Moon Shaped Pool’ -

Julmiste putting it all together

The Massachusetts football team relies on a number of players to propel it to victory each weekend on the gridiron.

Players like Kyle Havens, John Griffin, Jonathan Hernandez, Tyler Holmes, Victor Cruz and Julian Talley have all been called upon to carry the Minutemen on both offense and defense in the past years. But in 2011, UMass has relied upon the performance of another player to carry it to victory, senior wide receiver and kick returner, Jesse Julmiste.

Julmiste came to UMass as a transfer student in his sophomore year from Dodge City Junior College in Dodge City, Kan. In his first year as a Minuteman, Julmiste played in three games but didn’t touch the ball until the final game of the season, when he returned three kicks for a total of 36 yards against Hofstra.

From that point on, Julmiste has been a mainstay on the special teams squad, and in particular, the kickoff return team. Two years later, he is still returning kicks, but is also getting a lot more chances to touch the ball.

Julmiste is fourth on the team in total catches, hauling in 12 balls for over 140 yards through UMass’ five games. He has also caught two touchdowns, which is second on the team behind only Julian Talley, who has three.

But, the kick return game is where Julmiste has really shined.

After last weekend, Julmiste has returned 16 kicks for 526 yards and two touchdowns. His longest return came against Boston College when he took a kick back 100 yards for the score. That return was one of seven on the day, and represented the only time the Minutemen found the endzone throughout the game. Julmiste ended the game with over 250 return yards and one reception for 14 yards.

While the game against BC was the first real breakout performance he had been waiting for at UMass, last week against Central Connecticut State showed that his efforts were not a fluke.

Against CCSU, Julmiste did not catch a single ball, but instead rushed twice for 24 yards, and returned four kicks for 148 yards. But the biggest play of the day was a 90-yard return for a touchdown.

“[Scoring] is going through my mind all the time. Just get in the endzone,” said Julmiste.

In the Colonial Athletic Association, Julmiste is first in kick return average with 32.9 yards-per-game. He is also the only player in the CAA to return a kickoff for a touchdown.

Julmiste’s stats stand out in the NCAA as well. His 526 return yards place him third in the country in the Football Championship Series. He is also the only player in the top 10 to have returned two kicks for scores.

The Minutemen have had a carousel at quarterback all season long, and some would say that should affect the performance of the receiving corps. However, Julmiste has been a red zone threat all season regardless of who is throwing him the ball. Be it Brandon Hill or Kellen Pagel, Julmiste has still managed to find the endzone and help his team win.

Julmiste says that he is happy to contribute to the team in any way he can, and that outside of the team’s overall performance and record at the end of the season, his statistics and records don’t mean anything.

“We want to win every week we go out there,” Julmiste said. “We think of [every game] like just another game that we have to win.”

The Minutemen are 2-2 in games where Julmiste records a touchdown and 1-1 where he returns a kickoff for a score. Although the team doesn’t have a winning record, it is safe to say that without Julmiste’s four touchdowns and 706 all-purpose yards, it might be a completely different season altogether.

Michael Wood can be reached at mcwood@student.umass.edu.