Minutemen search for answers following blowout loss to Providence -

Saturday, December 20, 2014

UMass dominated in 85-65 loss to Providence -

Saturday, December 20, 2014

BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Minutewomen take care of business against American -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Twitter, the social networking superior

Kate Evans/Collegian

As Mark Zuckerberg constantly updates Facebook, people are screaming for a simpler way of socializing. There is only one answer: Twitter. It’s almost impossible to get annoyed with that girl from high school that won’t shut up about how drunk she got last weekend because she’s a lightweight and broke a heel and stained her brand new top. She can only use 140 characters of that nonsense, so at least it’s limited. Okay, worst case scenario, you can just unfollow her. The point I’m trying to get across is that “tweeting” is a lot more straightforward. You can quickly convey whatever it is you’re doing, which, in reality I’m sure no one really cares about.

Of course, that’s why I got into Twitter in the first place. I signed up because I realized not a single one of my 976 Facebook friends actually was interested in what I was doing. Well, that and the fact that I was a 16-year-old still obsessed with Miley Cyrus and wanted to stalk her life. I soon realized that since no one had made the crossover to twitter I could vent about things, and just say stupid stuff and not have people calling me out on it. Probably not my best motives, but what can I say, I was 16. Now, three years later here I am with a small crowd of “followers” and still saying the same meaningless word, ‘vomit’ – clearly I haven’t grown up.

Another absolutely great thing about Twitter is that there is only one picture. That means no sketchy stalkers looking through your pictures all the way back to when you were in sixth grade and shouldn’t have even been on Facebook in the first place. And now with “mobile uploads,” things have just gotten crazy. Honestly, no one wants to see the same pictures of you with the same people making the same stupid faces but in different outfits. However, I am 100 percent guilty of doing it, so maybe I should revise that statement. But I mean, who’s really stalking my Facebook?

Don’t get me wrong. There is such a thing as a “Twitpic.” And you can post them as much as you’d like, but it’s not really pictures of you sitting in front of Photobooth on your Macbook.

You can’t say that you don’t get creeped out when that sketchy kid from Macro friends you on Facebook, you hesitantly accept, and then he proceeds to Facebook chat you every day about the homework. Seriously, Instant Messenger dropped off the face of the earth back in 2005 for a reason. No one likes Facebook chat. And if you’re reading this, disagreeing, then you’re the sketchy kid from class! With Twitter, this is definitely avoidable. Yes, sketchy people can randomly start following you, but there’s no need for interaction with them. If you want to give someone a shout out, you simple just put the “@” symbol before their name, and there you go. Facebook chat should literally be exiled from the Internet, I can’t even get over how creepy it is, I’m getting the willies just writing about it.

The world really needs to get over the obsession with Facebook. Isn’t it getting just a little old? I need some new excitement in my life. So why not follow @SarahPalinUSA and get a good laugh when she tweets about things that no one cares about. Or, catch up on @charliesheen’s latest mental breakdowns and #winning quotes. Now I’m sure that’s a little more exciting than constantly clicking refresh on your Facebook homepage to see if someone did something interesting in the last 30 seconds, which I can promise you, they didn’t. You can do whatever you want on Twitter. You can say whatever you want on Twitter. The possibilities are basically endless … well until 140 characters, that is.

Rose Mirandi is a Collegian columnist. She can be reached at rmirandi@student.umass.edu.