UMass field hockey splits weekend matches with UNH and BU -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass women’s soccer struck by injuries, struggles offensively as it falls to No. 24 Rutgers -

Sunday, August 30, 2015

UMass men’s soccer drops season opener to Utah Valley in overtime -

Friday, August 28, 2015

UMass football notebook: Jackson Porter moves to WR, UMass schedules 2016 game with South Carolina -

Friday, August 28, 2015

Former UMass student who accused four men of rape in 2012 testifies during trial Friday -

Friday, August 28, 2015

REPORT: UMass football’s Da’Sean Downey faces two assault charges in connection with February fight -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football Media Day: Catching up with Joe Colton -

Thursday, August 27, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Creating turnovers, forcing mistakes the focus for linebacking corps -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Jurors hear police interview, read text messages by defendants in third UMass rape trial -

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

‘Living at UMass’ app aims to make move-in weekend a breeze -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass rape trial halts abruptly, opening statements delivered Tuesday -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Jamal Wilson returns from injury with confidence he is ‘main guy’ at running back -

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

UMass football fall camp: Freshmen Sekai Lindsay, Andy Isabella impressing at running back -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass ranked in top 25 for LGBTQ students -

Monday, August 24, 2015

UMass football fall camp day five: Rodney Mills looks to continue bringing versatility to tight end position -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Route 9 Diner to reopen under new ownership -

Friday, August 21, 2015

Rising UMass sophomore dies unexpectedly -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

UMass football fall camp day four: Veteran offensive line boasts chemistry, looks to improve run blocking -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

A colorful UMass homecoming -

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Potential nighttime and weekend parking fee at UMass tabled -

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

GetWellMeals_WebBanners

GetWellMeals_WebBanners

Twitter, the social networking superior

Kate Evans/Collegian

As Mark Zuckerberg constantly updates Facebook, people are screaming for a simpler way of socializing. There is only one answer: Twitter. It’s almost impossible to get annoyed with that girl from high school that won’t shut up about how drunk she got last weekend because she’s a lightweight and broke a heel and stained her brand new top. She can only use 140 characters of that nonsense, so at least it’s limited. Okay, worst case scenario, you can just unfollow her. The point I’m trying to get across is that “tweeting” is a lot more straightforward. You can quickly convey whatever it is you’re doing, which, in reality I’m sure no one really cares about.

Of course, that’s why I got into Twitter in the first place. I signed up because I realized not a single one of my 976 Facebook friends actually was interested in what I was doing. Well, that and the fact that I was a 16-year-old still obsessed with Miley Cyrus and wanted to stalk her life. I soon realized that since no one had made the crossover to twitter I could vent about things, and just say stupid stuff and not have people calling me out on it. Probably not my best motives, but what can I say, I was 16. Now, three years later here I am with a small crowd of “followers” and still saying the same meaningless word, ‘vomit’ – clearly I haven’t grown up.

Another absolutely great thing about Twitter is that there is only one picture. That means no sketchy stalkers looking through your pictures all the way back to when you were in sixth grade and shouldn’t have even been on Facebook in the first place. And now with “mobile uploads,” things have just gotten crazy. Honestly, no one wants to see the same pictures of you with the same people making the same stupid faces but in different outfits. However, I am 100 percent guilty of doing it, so maybe I should revise that statement. But I mean, who’s really stalking my Facebook?

Don’t get me wrong. There is such a thing as a “Twitpic.” And you can post them as much as you’d like, but it’s not really pictures of you sitting in front of Photobooth on your Macbook.

You can’t say that you don’t get creeped out when that sketchy kid from Macro friends you on Facebook, you hesitantly accept, and then he proceeds to Facebook chat you every day about the homework. Seriously, Instant Messenger dropped off the face of the earth back in 2005 for a reason. No one likes Facebook chat. And if you’re reading this, disagreeing, then you’re the sketchy kid from class! With Twitter, this is definitely avoidable. Yes, sketchy people can randomly start following you, but there’s no need for interaction with them. If you want to give someone a shout out, you simple just put the “@” symbol before their name, and there you go. Facebook chat should literally be exiled from the Internet, I can’t even get over how creepy it is, I’m getting the willies just writing about it.

The world really needs to get over the obsession with Facebook. Isn’t it getting just a little old? I need some new excitement in my life. So why not follow @SarahPalinUSA and get a good laugh when she tweets about things that no one cares about. Or, catch up on @charliesheen’s latest mental breakdowns and #winning quotes. Now I’m sure that’s a little more exciting than constantly clicking refresh on your Facebook homepage to see if someone did something interesting in the last 30 seconds, which I can promise you, they didn’t. You can do whatever you want on Twitter. You can say whatever you want on Twitter. The possibilities are basically endless … well until 140 characters, that is.

Rose Mirandi is a Collegian columnist. She can be reached at rmirandi@student.umass.edu.