UMass Football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

UMass takes on CAA rival Delaware

High off its win against non-conference Central Connecticut last week, the Massachusetts football team hopes it can carry the momentum into the remainder of its Colonial Athletic Association schedule which starts Saturday against Delaware.

The Minutemen (3-2, 1-1 CAA) have six games left on their schedule, all of them coming against their CAA foes. Saturday marks the critical stretch of the season, and although UMass is ineligible for postseason play because of its move to the Mid-American Conference, UMass coach Kevin Morris remains dead-set on capturing the CAA’s best record.

“We better be ready to play, it’s a great environment for Delaware,” said Morris in a CaaFootball.com interview.

Delaware (4-2, 2-1 CAA) is coming off a convincing 21-0 home victory over William & Mary which extended the Blue Hens’ home winning streak to seven games. All-American sophomore running back Andrew Pierce ran for a season-high 143 yards and a touchdown in front of 17,808 fans. He also caught a game-high seven passes.

Much like UMass’ Jonathan Hernandez, Pierce is featured heavily in the Blue Hens’ offense. The Minutemen defense will certainly need to key on him, but without neglecting Delaware’s other threats.

UD sophomore quarterback Tim Donnelly has started five of six games and has complemented Pierce very well, throwing for eight touchdowns (six interceptions) while completing 67 percent of his passes.

“They’re a solid, solid football team,” said Morris. “The Donnelly kid has stepped in and done an excellent job at quarterback, he’s got the excellent wide receivers with [Nijha] White and [Rob] Jones and [Mark Schenauer]. We [have to] handle those guys.”

The Minutemen pass rush will be challenged as well, as it goes against a very strong offensive line.

“Their offensive line is really where their bread and butter is,” said Morris. “[It’s] a senior-laden [line] with some All-American candidates on it. Those guys can really push you around and push you off the ball.”

Delaware’s defense is formidable as well, allowing an average of 17.5 points per game, which is the second-lowest in the CAA.  Its highlight player is sophomore linebacker Paul Worrilow, who leads the team with 60 tackles.

“It’s a great rivalry,” said Morris about UMass and Delaware. “It’s always a classic game [in] CAA football. It’s always been two teams that are in the upper part of the league and you’re going to get great football.”

UMass quarterback Brandon Hill will likely make the start over Kellen Pagel, who is recovering from a concussion. Hill will try to pick apart the Blue Hens’ secondary which employs man-to-man coverage. Hill’s main job, though, is to secure the football, which he did very well against CCSU last week in his second career start when he threw for 169 yards on 10-of-18 passing with one touchdown and no turnovers.

Despite Hill’s solid performance in his second-career start last week, the depth chart at quarterback remains unsettled as Morris will continue to evaluate both Hill and Pagel in games and practice.

As always, Hernandez will be the focal point of the UMass offense. Against CCSU, the senior tailback rushed for 75 yards and two touchdowns. On the season, Hernandez has a conference-leading 118.8 yards per game. Pierce is not far behind, with a 105.3 average that ranks third in the conference.

“Our motivation is to get better with every rep in practice and become a great practice team which we’ve done very well,” said Morris. “We’ve really practiced well and now we have to perform on the field and in the primetime starting with Delaware this week.”

“It’s about us not turning the ball over… going down to Delaware is certainly going to be a great challenge and one we’re looking forward to.”

Steve Levine can be reached at slevine@student.umass.edu.