UMass Football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

Minutewomen to compete in ITA at Yale

Five UMass women’s tennis team members have been invited to Yale this weekend to compete in the Northeast Regional of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association nationwide invitational tournament.

The players receiving invitations to the tournament include the doubles team of Chantal Swiszcz and Yuliana Motyl and singles players Julia Comas, Sonia Bokhari and Jessica Podlofsky.

The tournament begins on Friday with qualifying matches and will run until the Oct. 25 when the doubles and singles champions will be crowned. The respective draws for both the doubles and singles are posted on Yale’s athletic website and on the ITA’s events schedule page.­­­­­­

Swiszcz and Motyl will begin play on Friday while all three singles players will start on Saturday. Comas, Bokhari and Podlofsky were all invited to the main draw of the tournament on Saturday, bypassing qualifiers on Friday.

The singles event consists of the top 128 singles players in the Northeast and the doubles draw has the best 32 teams competing, as determined by the ITA governing board.

UMass coach Judy Dixon said that she knows her players are capable of competing at the ITA level.

“These are the best players in the region and they are excited to go,” said Dixon.

The Minutewomen started off the season with two excellent performances by Glasper and Podlofsky. Podlofsky won her flight championship in both the Harvard Fall Classic as well as the Eastern Collegiate Invitational tournament and Glasper won her flight at the ECI tournament. Following her victory at the ECI’s, Podlofsky was named UMass Athlete of the week.

Doubles play has also started off well this year. As a doubles team, the duo of Glasper and Podlofsky got a victory against Connecticut, defeating their opponents 4-3. Also, the team of Motyl and Swiszcz made it to the finals of the Flight A doubles at the Harvard Classic.

However, despite its successes, the hot streak for the Minutewomen (1-1) came to an end last weekend as the squad lost to Fordham, 5-2. Fortunately for the Minutewomen, the loss will not go towards their A-10 record as the official women’s tennis season is in the spring. Regardless, the loss against a team Dixon thought her squad should have beaten will be tough to take.

The lone singles victory for UMass against the Rams came when Comas won her No. 4 singles match.

Podlofsky ‘s singles win streak of nine in a row came to an end against the Rams as well. Coming into the weekend, she was moved up to the No. 3 singles slot because of her fast start.

Dixon has said that she is very happy about her team’s start and although there is always work that needs to be done, she has a good feeling about her squad going into the spring.

She also said that she is impressed with the squad’s in-match toughness thus far, saying that the players have never given up on a set or on a match. She praised their mental toughness as well as their physical skill set, and said that, outside of the loss to Fordham, she has been impressed this fall.

This weekend’s play will be more about individual performances as the team members invited have a chance to impress the ITA and USTA as well as their fellow competitors.

Following the ITA championship this weekend, the squad will travel to Hanover, N.H. on Nov. 4 to play in the Big Green Invitational for what will be its last competitive match until late January of next year.

Cameron McDonough can be reached at cameronm@student.umass.edu.