UMass Football summer coverage 2014 -

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Chiarelli: Sam Koch’s impact evident in those who knew him best -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Longtime UMass men’s soccer coach Sam Koch dies after two-year battle with sinus cancer -

Monday, July 21, 2014

Southwest evacuated after gas leak -

UMass Rowing finishes NCAA Championships, ends year ranked No. 21 in the nation -

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Two UMass basketball alums to compete for a lofty prize in The Basketball Tournament -

Friday, May 23, 2014

Commencement Photos 2014 -

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Two arrested in relation to series of vandalism -

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Students push for relocation of the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health -

Monday, May 12, 2014

Video: No. 14 UMass WLAX ends season in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

No. 14 UMass women’s lacrosse season ends in loss to Loyola (MD) -

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Sixth inning rally propels UMass past Dayton 7-2 -

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

McMahon, Ferris and McGovern: Not your usual transfer story -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Women’s lacrosse defeats Richmond 10-6 to win sixth straight A-10 Championship -

Sunday, May 4, 2014

No. 13 UMass women’s lacrosse knocks off Duquesne 16-3 to reach Atlantic 10 finals -

Friday, May 2, 2014

UMass one of 55 schools currently facing investigation over handling of sexual assault cases -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Two thefts reported at library -

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Senior Columns 2013-2014 -

UMass Dining proposes major meal plan changes -

UMass baseball beats UConn for first time since 2007 -

Minutewomen close to climbing over hump

The Massachusetts women’s basketball team, while on a six-game slide, has been keeping the early season non-conference games relatively close, losing four of its six games by five points or less.

Alex Mojcher/Collegian

Other than a blowout loss on the road to Miami (Ohio), UMass has been within striking distance of all of its opponents, the closest of which was a three-point loss to Central Connecticut at home in overtime on Nov. 16.

Minutewomen coach Sharon Dawley, while disappointed that the team hasn’t come away with one of these close games, made it clear that she has been encouraged by her team’s performance.

“We’re so close to grabbing that first win in a while and running from there,” Dawley said in a UMassAthletics.com interview. “We’re playing great teams, quality teams and we’re right there. [We’re] a couple of rebounds [and] lay-ups away from beating good teams.”

However, Dawley recognizes that eventually those lay-ups are going to have to fall and the rebounding in crunch time will have to improve, adding that the Minutewomen will have to start “finishing the task” if they are going to start racking up some wins.

UMass will have to face another non-conference opponent on the road when it takes on Boston College Wednesday night.

Learning without practice

While on their road trip, which saw the team go from Hampden, Conn. to Fairfax, Va., the Minutewomen have not had as much time to practice as they are accustomed to.

Putting in new sets and getting better accustomed to the offensive and defensive schemes can get more difficult in that situation. Despite all that, Dawley has been impressed with the way the girls have handled their road schedule thus far.

“We threw a junk defense in there at the end [against George Mason] that the girls really haven’t had a time to practice and it worked. You’re always encouraged when kids are able to stuff like that for you on the fly,” Dawley said.

The Minutewomen won’t see this many road games in such a short span again until the beginning of February, when UMass will be in the thick of their conference schedule.

During that period, the Minutewomen are slated for a stretch of four of five games on the road. That will include games at Charlotte, La Salle, Temple and Saint Louis, with a home game versus St. Bonaventure in between. Last season, UMass struggled on the road, going 1-12.

Time off beneficial

With six days in between the games at George Mason and BC, the Minutewomen will have had some time to help build on what they accomplished out on the road.

Dawley said she was pleased with the amount of leadership and communication she saw against the Patriots, but also realized that coming back home should prove to be a big help towards the team’s success.

“I think it’s good,” said Dawley. “One, I think we need just to be home a little bit. And we need to refine stuff that we’ve tried to put in on the road that hasn’t had enough time. This effort [against George Mason] is preparing us to beat BC at their place on Wednesday.”

Last season, in games after at least having five days off, the Minutewomen were 2-3, losing to LSU, Maryland and Maine while defeating both Rhode Island and Wagner.

This gap in play will be the second longest for the Minutewomen this season. After UMass plays Maine on Dec. 11, it will have eight days before it travels to Binghamton, N.Y. for a 6 p.m. game against the Bearcats.

Eric Mansfield can be reached at eamansfi@student.umass.edu and followed on Twitter @MDC_Mansfield.