UMass tight end Jean Sifrin goes undrafted in NFL draft, signs with Indianapolis Colts as undrafted free agent -

Saturday, May 2, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse topped by Towson in CAA title game -

Saturday, May 2, 2015

UMPD investigating burglary in Washington Hall -

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Marty Meehan’s appointment as UMass president comes as little surprise -

Saturday, May 2, 2015

UMass women’s lacrosse advances to A-10 championship with 12-3 win over George Mason -

Friday, May 1, 2015

Not done yet: UMass men’s soccer’s Matt Keys and hockey’s Troy Power still pursuing pro dreams after graduation -

Friday, May 1, 2015

UMass Lowell Chancellor Marty Meehan elected president of UMass system -

Friday, May 1, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse upsets No. 1 seed Fairfield to advance to CAA championship -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Walk-off home run sinks UMass softball in pitching duel with UConn -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

UMass rowing looks to defend A-10 title Saturday in New Jersey -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

UMass search committee names two finalists for system president -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Senior Columns 2014-2015 -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Krauthammer critiques Obama doctrine -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

UMass Baseball goes into weekend on a major skid -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

‘Mad Men’ remains the best of the best -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

UMass men’s lacrosse set for rematch with Fairfield in CAA tournament -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Minutemen drop 11th straight -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

‘While We’re Young’ meditates on age, experience, and authenticity -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

The photo man -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

UMass Fly Fishing Club brings the sport to the next generation -

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Pi Kappa Phi cycles in Campus Center

Evan Sahagian/Collegian

Evan Sahagian/Collegian

The University of Massachusetts’ only fraternity to possess and operate its own philanthropic organization happily sweated its way through its latest charitable event last week.

Held on Thursday, Dec. 1, UMass’ Pi Kappa Phi chapter’s Pedal for Push event had its members pedaling on three stationary exercise bicycles borrowed from the body shop at Totman Gymnasium from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. inside the Campus Center by the entrance closest to the University store.

Passersby cheered and smiled at the brothers, who, soaked in sweat, smiled and cheered back at those who gave donations in support of the group’s cause.  Donations from students and members of the community passing by amounted to $440, which will go directly to the chapter’s national organization.

As recipients of the “Circle of Giving” grant, the fraternity will collect 25 percent of its annual fundraising in the form of a check.  The money will then be presented to the local organization Best Buddies Massachusetts, which is an organization that, according to its website, is a “nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to establishing a global volunteer movement that creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.”

Pi Kappa Phi’s Executive Philanthropy Chair David Barnstone, 19, said the fraternity’s philanthropic organization Push America Executive, which has been in existence for over three decades, chose to donate to Best Buddies Massachusetts because the organization “really helps us connect with people with disabilities.”

“[Best Buddies] is really what our organization is about, which is changing the way people view disabilities in society,” he said.

Barnstone said the event was more successful than he had anticipated.

“I had started this as primarily an awareness event. I was expecting to raise $100 if we got lucky, but the generosity of people just astounded me,” he said. “People were incredibly receptive. We got a lot of donations, obviously, and even if [people walking by] didn’t stop, they kind of turned their head and said things like ‘oh, wow, that seems like a cool thing to do.’ We definitely brought a lot of attention to Push America and what we were trying to do.”

Barnstone added that his brothers “got really into” the event.

“We had a couple guys race each other to see who could get their speed up over the other one; there was a lot of sweat,” he said.

“Pedal For Push was a great event,” said fraternity brother Kevin Muench in an e-mail. “It raised a lot of awareness in all the people walking by and everyone’s generous donations will definitely be very helpful to PUSH and people with disabilities.”

“I also had a great time belting out Zac Brown Band while I pedaled,” Muench added and also saying he looked forward to the fraternity’s next event.

The fraternity hopes to hold a similar, but larger scale event next semester. They want to make the bike-a-thon a 24-hour event and hope to borrow additional stationary bikes from the campus.

Alyssa Creamer can be reached at editor@dailycollegian.com.