BLOG: UMass football recruiting roundup: UMass signs DT, offers two kickers -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass President Robert Caret resigns to become chancellor of the University of Maryland system -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Brandon Montour: ‘It felt great to be out there’ -

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

UMass falls to Northeastern in Brandon Montour’s debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Cady Lalanne continues to evolve as a potential outside shooting threat -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

UMass hockey returns to action against Northeastern, Montour to make season debut -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Demetrius Dyson remains hopeful despite rocky start to season -

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Former UMass soccer star Matt Keys aims to continue his career professionally -

Monday, December 15, 2014

Pierre-Louis, Dillard shine in UMass victory over Holy Cross -

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Passing, spacing improved in UMass victory -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prolific first half propels UMass past Canisius, 75-58 -

Saturday, December 13, 2014

UMass Faculty Senate hears ad hoc committee’s report on FBS football, shoots down contentious motion -

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Minutemen hope improved spacing will aid struggling half court offense -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Divest UMass urges Board of Trustees to split with fossil fuel industry -

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cady Lalanne accustomed to dealing with increased attention -

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Front to Back: Week of Dec. 1, 2014 -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Chiarelli: UMass basketball running out of time to find its identity -

Monday, December 8, 2014

Minutewomen take care of business against American -

Monday, December 8, 2014

UMass women’s basketball handles American, 71-61 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

UMass basketball downed by Florida Gulf Coast 84-75 -

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Schools honored at national conference on bullying

MCT

MCT

Twelve schools will be honored at a national conference on bullying today for efforts made in reducing bullying both in and outside the classroom, according to a press release.

The conference will be held at the Doubletree Resort at SeaWorld in Florida from Feb. 15 to 17, and it is hosted by the School Safety Advocacy Council, along with Students Against Violence Everywhere [SAVE] and the Florida Association of School Resource Officers [FASRO], according to the press release.

The 85-plus schools nominated by various organizations throughout the country were evaluated based on their ability and efforts in reaching students and the long-term effectiveness of their anti-bullying efforts, according to the press release.

University of Massachusetts junior Margaret Phan played a role in the effort to end bullying during her senior year of high school at Boston Latin School, which was not nominated for the award.

During the second half of her senior year of high school, Phan started ‘Girls Group,’ in an effort to help girls dealing with bullying after she noticed an increase in girls fighting, being bullied and dealing with boy drama.

“It was a mentor group for girls to help them realize there’s more to high school than just boys and jewelry and makeup and all that stuff,” said Phan.

Executive Director for the School Safety Advocacy Council Curt Lavarello said in the press release that he hopes awarding these twelve schools will both acknowledge their accomplishments and efforts as well as set positive examples for other school districts “seeking strategies to address both school and community bullying.”

According to Lavarello, bullying both inside and outside of school needs to be addressed, because the venues for it have increased, according to the press release.

“Bullying is no longer a Monday through Friday, 8 [a.m.] to 4 [p.m.] issue,” said Lavarello in the release. “With all the social networking sites, there is an absolute need for schools to partner with communities on strategies.”

According to Phan, bullying is an ever-present issue in the American school system and cannot be ignored.

“Bullying is always going to be there in some shape or form but with the right information and the right programs it doesn’t have to be as big a problem as it is now,” said Phan.

The effort Phan made, she said, was the only anti-bullying program at her high school, a school that she said did not have a large bullying problem, compared to what she has heard about other schools.

‘Girls Group’ operated by holding meetings and information sessions and assigning younger girls to older girls as their mentors, said Phan, who mentored two girls, meeting with them every week to “make sure that everything was okay and that they weren’t having any problems.”

Phan said the club was beneficial to the younger girls, as the club gave them older students to look up to and to help them deal with personal problems or drama with friends.

“I believe that the most effective factor for these girls was having someone who was willing to take the time and work it through with them, rather than someone who just said the typical ‘calm down, it’s not that serious,’” said Phan.

Phan added that she thinks bullying has grown a lot since her high school years, and she said it is great that many schools are “taking initiative” to try to stop it. Phan thinks that an increase in anti-bullying programs is necessary.

When visiting her school after graduation, Phan learned that the club was still active.

“I thought it helped a lot because the girls I was mentoring needed someone to guide them towards rational and grown up decisions, no matter how angry or how worked up they were,” said Phan.

The award ceremony in Florida will be accompanied by presenters who are nationally recognized in “the area of bullying,” and over 20 exhibitors, according to the press release.

Steffi Porter can be reached at steffi@student.umass.edu

One Response to “Schools honored at national conference on bullying”
  1. Sheena Smith says:

We’ve been discussing about these bullying issues with my co-parents in school. And I believe it will be a great idea to teach our children a safety tip on how to deal with bullying. And as been noticed, bullied case has been increasing rapidly, so we’ve come of an idea to search for a mobile safety that will ensure our kids to be safe even when we’re not around. Then we found this link http://www.tsue-thatswhatshesaid.com/2011/09/keeping-your-child-safe-supporting.html that talks about securing every family in modern way. You can also check that link for your own good.